Alfredo Morelos

On the one hand, there was very little in it. In modern football, you can’t do it, regardless of force. But let’s be honest it wouldn’t have hurt in the slightest so to call it brutality is ridiculous.  

But what was most disappointing for me was that the game was only 10 minutes in. He didn’t have the excuse he has had on previous occasions where the game was an hour in with a hostile crowd and with Scott Brown raking his studs down the back of his ankle. There was no excuse for losing the head this time. 

It raises the question of trust again though. Would you trust him in the OF game, it’s 1 all and they’re doing everything they can to wind him up, sound familiar? Not me. 
We need to sell players and Alfredo is first on my list. Id take 10million in Jan, if we could even get that. We don’t need him. Yes he plays an important, and different, role now and has been fairly effective, but If we had paid out 10million for someone else doing what Alfredo’s doing now, we’d be cursing Ross Wilson. 
Honestly, its time to move on for me. He could yet let us down at a more crucial moment than last Sunday. Sorry to say. 

Edited by weebluedevil

5 hours ago, Bill said:

As much as I acknowledge the bias against Rangers that runs through the SFA and as much as I want to defend Alfredo, on this occasion an appeal would be pointless. Accept the ban, get the games behind us and move on. The time to avoid this was half a second before the incident took place.

Plenty of others who can fill in for him.

2 hours ago, weebluedevil said:

It raises the question of trust again though. Would you trust him in the OF game, it’s 1 all and they’re doing everything they can to wind him up, sound familiar? Not me. 
We need to sell players and Alfredo is first on my list. Id take 10million in Jan, if we could even get that. We don’t need him. Yes he plays an important, and different, role now and has been fairly effective, but If we had paid out 10million for someone else doing what Alfredo’s doing now, we’d be cursing Ross Wilson. 
Honestly, its time to move on for me. He could yet let us down at a more crucial moment than last Sunday. Sorry to say. 

He's playing a key role in a team that is undefeated for the season.

There is no shortage of critics to talk down his value.  There is no need for any of us to help them with that.

10 hours ago, weebluedevil said:

Agreed.

So many things have changed for the better, Alfredo is beginning to remind us of the past and we know only too well where it tends to go from here.

---------

I wrote a post on Morelos yesterday prior to the latest ban, that fits better in this thread....

If SG&Co think he is the best footballer in the squad for whatever role, then fair enough and aslong as results continue the way they are going, no problems.

The most important thing for SG&Co is to continue the positive results, continue the momentum and not let enter doubts or negative history repeat itself.

Where are the risks ? 

On Sunday, we saw something that we'd hoped had been sorted. Very early in the game, the Morelos challenge that we were very lucky didn't produce a red card. Was it a huge surprise, no, not really. Exactly a year ago this morning, the same general narrative as this season, was that Morelos had screwed the nut and improved his discipline (only 2 league bookings to that point in the season). However by late afternoon he had doubled the bookings and been shown a red. The second booking being a gesture during a goal celebration, stupidity, that we had seen before.

The week before, he had played very well but didn't score in the League Cup Final against Celtic. The media went to town on him #frustrated

At the end of the same month, we would see another stupid red card against Celtic, that cut our options for the post winter break games.

A year previous to that he was the talk of Scottish fitbaw during the whole winter break as the compliance officer cited him for the same fixture.

The first European campaign towards the groups stages under SG&Co came under threat when Morelos had a first half brain fart in Ufa and stupidly got sent off. We got away with it.

Same season: Petulant League Cup booking versus Ayr Utd = No decent strikers for semi-final and elimination

The conclusion is

- His temperament and stupidity has cost us many times

- He does and will not learn. Frustrations will get the better of him

- He isn't and hasn't been sharp/on-form for about 11 months

- He is looking frustrated

- We got away with it on Sunday but it could have cost and led to a change in momentum

- We can't trust him

Would you play him in what will be the most important OF match for SG&Co to date ?

Previous is no goals and two red cards

Celtic will be targetting this game for a momentum shift. The media reaction after Tannadice will remind officialdom to remark Alfredos card. Risk (re.AM) is high IMO

I'd play Itten through the middle against St.Mirren tomorrow and see how he does against a fairly organised side.

I'd be asking Ross Wison what options may be available in January to sell and replace Morelos.

Further decisions would be dependent on Itten showing up well for several games and what options were available in the transfer window.

---------------------

Looks like Itten may well get more minutes. It's now up to him to prove himself.

Edited by buster.