[FT] Hibernian 0 - 1 Rangers (Morelos 51)

Got a bit of sympathy with @PoohBearhere.  I wouldn't go as far as to the call the wee man names but there's absolutely nothing wrong with being p!ssed off at his stupidity. 

Of course Morelos (and RFC players generally it seems) are subject to one-sided action from the SFA and that's well worth highlighting but Morelos only has himself to blame on this one.  The elbow the other week at Tannadice was daft enough so to follow it up just a month later with another risky move really is inexcusable.

I love Morelos as much as the next bear but his manager and fellow players must be really annoyed with him letting them down.  At the end of the day, this season at least, it's the wee man that's going to lose out though as he'll find it difficult to get back in the side should Roofe stay fit and the other attackers keep doing the business.  And, just as he was starting to get back amongst the goals as well.  

Kenny Dalglish in today's Sunday Post, couldn't agree more ;

"By only calling up Morelos, and not Darren McGregor for his clash with Glen Kamara, the SFA are leaving themselves wide open to accusations of having one rule for one player and a different one for another."

Personally I think the club will be doing something in the background about the seeming bias in targeting rangers players actions. I doubt we'll hear much about it until after we've clinched the league simply because the title is far more important to us now. We don't need any distractions t derail us, we don't want Gerrard to be fielding questions about statements and wars with the SFA or SPFL. 

On 30/01/2021 at 11:58, PoohBear said:

My feeling is that Morelos is somewhat of a liability and on the evidence of this season hasn't really bothered to give his all. You can insinuate whatever you want, I'm just saying what I think. He's been given every chance by Rangers but Gerrard must be absolutely sick of having to deal with him. Every other Rangers player has their head screwed on this season and are quietly going about doing a terrific job. Like I say, had Morelos been shown the red card he deserved and we dropped points then I doubt many would be backing him.

Are you Jordan Jones or George Edmundson ?

It is when someone makes these sweeping statements that their argument seems to be agenda-driven.  I am not saying that you are agenda driven but it weakens your position when you ignore two players who could very well have been needed but for their stupidity.

Morelos has been the subject of a witch hunt in the past, of that there is no doubt - two (or is it 3) rescinded red cards would suggest so.  But this season he has been cited twice, both times deservedly so.  So there is no witch hunt against him - though I will caveat that and say "from the CO" - because I still think there is a witch hunt from sections of the media - their focus on Morelos is unbalanced and seems sinister.

Is there a witch hunt against Rangers ?  Again, I dont think there is.  For there to be a witch hunt it would have to be that the decisions being made by the SFA/SPFL/CO are incorrectly hurting Rangers - but they arent.  However, again I dont think there can be any doubt that Rangers are being dealt with differently than others.  Other than the SG citation after the Dundee Utd game I dont think we have been cited unfairly very much at all.  However, other teams and one in particular, find themselves almost never being cited.  The number of times Scott Brown has gotten away with elbows and stamps is ridiculous - and Lennon's post-Dubai rant was worthy of a disrepute charge.  But it never happens.  That doesn't, however, translate to a witch-hunt - if anything it simply transfers to Celtic being unjustly treated positively.  It isnt a witch-hunt against Rangers, but it does hurt us given they are our nearest competitor. 

On 30/01/2021 at 16:37, PoohBear said:

I prefer to have some objective analysis of our players than simply backing them because they play for us. Like I said before, I hope he does well for us but it doesn't change the fact that I think he's problematic and not particularly bright. 

Objective analysis is one thing, calling one of our own, current players a moron is quite another.

On 31/01/2021 at 15:57, the gunslinger said:

as i say Khevins who hates Morelos and supports Celtc called it lopsided justice. That our own fans can't see tat after mcgregor admitted it was deliberate or as good as did is baffling. 

Keevins talks shite - almost all the time - so like everyone else we will agree with him when it suits our argument, and say he is talking shite when it doesnt.

I don't think McGregor's was deliberate and was incidental.  Morelos's could also be argued the same way given where the ball was when he stamped on Porteous - but he still had little reason to try to get the ball by stamping down (whether that be ball or player).  McGregor was somewhat fortunate either way because his rag-dolling of Kamara warranted a yellow, and his inadvertent stamp probably deserved a yellow too - but no way was he getting two yellows for the same continued phase of play.

In McGregor's case he can legitimately argue that he was falling to the ground, having tossed Kamara to the ground, and it was accidental.  It would be tougher for Morelos to do that as he was still on his feet whilst Porteous was on the ground, and there wasnt really a tangle of bodies to cause his stamping down.  I initially thought he was trying to get the ball (and that can still be argued), but he stamped down and endangered his opponent, which rightly resulted in red.