Rangers 'B' team to take part in Lowland League next season

22 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

What teams are in the Lowland League?

Currently - http://slfl.co.uk/lowland-league-table/ a mix of ex-Junior sides, old East Of Scotland League clubs that used to appear in Scottish Cup every year some relegated former senior sides and some new clubs like BSC and East Kilbride. 

I'm puzzled about this. Apart from being deeply unpopular with supporters in that league it's really not a great level of football. I understand the desire to have young players playing senior football, but I'm not sure why the current system of having them out on loan doesn't work. I'd have thought a season fighting for a place in a Championship or League 1 side against seasoned professionals would be better for players than this, but what do I know. 

34 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

What teams are in the Lowland League?

Kelty Hearts. B Ferguson, Manager.

If they beat Brechin City they’ll be into League 2.

Other notables, Berwick Rangers, East Stirlingshire, a couple of University teams and the legendary Bonnyrigg Rose. 

I can see the point of a team of very young players in that league to develop a club/team ethos and method.  The older youngsters having passed through that stage and near to breaking into the top side would be better off on loan to clubs at a much higher level.

We've also seen teams like Brentford abandon their Academy for a 'B' team, because they see it as better for the development of players. Rangers have adopted this too, but kept the Academy. 

Would you say we have been developing a better brand of player recently, with this 'B' team model? I feel like there are a few players that look good. (Of course, that doesn't mean they're going to make it at Rangers.) 

When you think about it, what does a player out on loan actually gain? Let's say they go to a League One side. Yes, they would toughen up against seasoned professionals, but the football would be atrocious - and, I would argue, detrimental to their progress. They wouldn't be learning any technical skills, or ways of playing that would benefit them when it came to playing for Rangers.

We loan scores of players out every year, and they don't make it. That way we're just relying on that magical player that comes along once in a blue moon. That's not sustainable.  

Using a 'B' team that plays in such a way that develops their skills and abilities, and that has natural link into the first team, is surely the better course? These players can be developed to play roles in the first team. They'll also be playing against hardened players, which will toughen them up anyway. 

Even if they don't make it to Rangers, we would, in theory, be developing technically well-rounded players, who then could be a desirable asset for someone else. We've seen many a club scout youngsters from La Masia: even if they can't make it at Barcelona, they are good players; like Dani Olmo, Adama Traore, Hector Bellerin... Mikel Arteta?