Rangers slammed by SPFL chief MacLennan over cinch stand-off in letter to clubs

19 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

Maybe. I'd be disappointed if that was the case. Excluding the car industry from sponsoring the league because one of our major shareholders is in competition with them isn't going to stand up to any serious scrutiny though. 

I detest all these silly-name online 'companies' with their even sillier adverts. If we are going to be sponsored by the car industry I'd rather it was by a more traditional player. Unless - we were being offered a huge amount. Which we are not.

5 hours ago, JohnMc said:

I remain a little puzzled by this.

The £100k commission is fairly standard in that industry, it sounds a lot but in terms of the £8 million figure that's being reported as the value it's not and if the SPFL agreed to use a third party again that's not unusual in that industry. 

Cinch are owned by British Car Auctions who also own We Buy Any Car and are being used as a vehicle (pardon the pun) to sell many of the cars they buy through 'We Buy Any Car'. There is more profit in selling directly to the consumer than to the trade, it's simple business. The established car industry isn't over the moon about this but the lines in the traditional car industry have been blurring for years now. I struggle to accept that's what our gripe is with this. Does this deal perhaps preclude us from attracting another motor brand as a shirt sponsor? Maybe, but we've a betting sponsor currently while playing in competitions sponsored by Ladbrokes, it's not new to see competitive sponsors involved. 

Maybe it's the value and length of the sponsorship that's at issue. It's hard to tell just now if this is good value or not. The implications of Covid on the economy are still to be felt. Certainly the feeling that the SPFL and SFA haven't sold Scottish football at its proper value to TV and sponsors is one I share, but their 'bird in the hand' argument is valid and might yet prove right.

There is growing political pressure to exclude betting firms from shirt sponsorship and advertising. It seems likely this will happen, and it might be Rangers are working to secure a new non-gambling shirt sponsor. Again, I would have thought the best and highest profile club in the country sporting a rival brand to cinch would have upset Cinch more than Rangers. 

This might simply be another attempt by Rangers to disrupt and challenge the SPFL. I suspect fans of a number of clubs don't see them as fit for purpose and this might be political expediency. Shining the media spotlight on Doncaster and the commercial deals will lead to extra pressure on him. Rangers might have taken the temperature of some other clubs too and feel they have some backing on this. Celtic, the SPFL's main backers are in chaos currently and at their weakest in years, it might be that the timing is good. 

Some valid hypothasis that may get answered in the fullness of time. A question i have is why the SPFL chairman Murdoch MacLennan went public with an email that he knew would be leaked. Why not work with Rangers on their concerns like any company would and the EPL certainly would do with their clubs, why make this a Rangers versus the rest if it wasn't aimed at isolating the Gers again or bullying them to get in line? 

I have no problem with Gers taking advantage of the weakness of the SPFL, but why would the SPFL as an supposed professional organisation conduct this business in full view of the media if not to try to embarrass Rangers? 

14 minutes ago, alexscottislegend said:

I detest all these silly-name online 'companies' with their even sillier adverts. If we are going to be sponsored by the car industry I'd rather it was by a more traditional player. Unless - we were being offered a huge amount. Which we are not.

Not only are you an incorrigible leftie, asil, you are a reactionary Old Fogey. With regard to the latter, it takes one to know one.

As someone who doesn't drive, gamble, drink energy drinks, vape or even know what a VPN is, I feel completely disenfranchised.

However, I'm happy to support the club in contesting the Scottish football authorities whenever an opportunity becomes available.  They are a set of incompetent charlatans.

1 hour ago, Gonzo79 said:

As someone who doesn't drive, gamble, drink energy drinks, vape or even know what a VPN is, I feel completely disenfranchised.

However, I'm happy to support the club in contesting the Scottish football authorities whenever an opportunity becomes available.  They are a set of incompetent charlatans.

I thought NFT stood for 'New Fangled Technology' !