The Summer 2022 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

We simply have far too big a squad as it is , we need some players moved on and replaced with better quality , we would be far better served having a squad of 24 , instead of a bloated 27/28 , and that’s taking the likes of Katic , Kelly , Wright (the goalie ) and McCann as well as Lowry out the mix .

15 minutes ago, craig said:

I dont see ANYONE ignoring how much we have brought in.  Our better players we have sold are Aribo and Bassey.  Aribo has, IMHO, been replaced, with Tillman.  Indeed, one could argue that Tillman has had more of an effect already this season thab would have been expected from Aribo (I am NOT downplaying Aribo, big man was quality when he was on his game - but Tillman is a genuine replacement).  And Bassey... we have spent over 3 million replacing him with Davies.  The only other significant departure, though not one of our better players, is Itten - and he has definitely been replaced by a more prolific striker in Colak.

So, yes, we sold our "better" players - but have we actually been weakened by their leaving ?  At this point Tillman is showing he is more than an adequate replacement for Aribo (remembering he is only a handful of games in), and Davies obviously hasnt, as yet - but Sands has done a commendable job in their which doesnt really leave us short - and once Davies is fit and up to speed, should be more than an adequate replacement for Bassey.  Lest we forget that many wanted Bassey to replace Borna rather than play CB - and if we were to consider Bassey a LB then we have also replaced him with Ridvan.

Income far outweighing outlay is no reason to spend.  Spend when you think you NEED to spend, not just because you have the funds to do so.  I think our squad is in a strong position.  That said, I think we could do with another striker and a creative mid - and if being greedy a RW.  But I think our squad is strong.  IMHO, we are stronger in the front positions given the additions of Colak, Tillman, Lawrence (who is a quality player), and that isnt including Matondo.

Why do we need to spend money on our midfield when we have Lundstram and Kamara there ?  We should only need 2 holding mids domestically (and away to the Tims) so why do we need more ?  We also have Davis there - wee man is hardly ever injured.  And Jack when not injured.  RW, I would agree, but we have already spent decent money on a RW this pre-season - so now we want another and we will then have THREE RW in Matondo, Wright and AN Other ?

How do you know that the manager hasnt said that he is happy with what he has ?  Are you saying that the club havent backed Gio ?  Are you saying we havent signed Colak, Matondo, Ridvan, Tillman, Lawrence, Davies this summer ?  Surely Glen Kamara is the only example we need to know that you don't have to spend a ton of money to get a signing right ?

Ridvan has, I believe, also got add-ons to the initial 4 million Euros.

not being weakened is fine but we have catching up to do. 

26 minutes ago, the gunslinger said:

not being weakened is fine but we have catching up to do. 

I remain unconvinced about the whole "we have to catch them up".  Yes, they have started the season well, as have we given our numerous changes to playing staff, most of whom are starters.  They won the league, yes, but even you yourself agreed that wouldnt have been the case but for poor officiating in the last OF at Ibrox where we lost 2-1 but were denied two stonewall penalties - if they were given we would have won the league.  That ignores the many other instances.

So, again, yes, they won the league but I don't see it as us needing to catch them up.  I see it as us needing to be comfortable with the personnel we have, and the style in which we play.  The signs are there and, much like them last season, it will take time to see just how good this squad will be.  What I WILL say, at this point, is that we seem to be far more creative than we were last season.

Can we strengthen ?  Absolutely.  Do we NEED to ?  Depends on who is available - a RW would be great... but that also does a disservice to Matondo who has barely got his feet under the table.  Another striker would be great - but why would we if Alfredo screws the nut ?  Roofe reckons he is almost back (though we know he can't be relied upon consistently.  A creative midfielder would be great, but Tillman and Lawrence can both play that role.

I guess what we need to ask ourselves is what position really does need strengthening and who would actually be available within our budget, without breaking wage structure, in that position and would they be a significant upgrade ? 

8 minutes ago, craig said:

I remain unconvinced about the whole "we have to catch them up".  Yes, they have started the season well, as have we given our numerous changes to playing staff, most of whom are starters.  They won the league, yes, but even you yourself agreed that wouldnt have been the case but for poor officiating in the last OF at Ibrox where we lost 2-1 but were denied two stonewall penalties - if they were given we would have won the league.  That ignores the many other instances.

So, again, yes, they won the league but I don't see it as us needing to catch them up.  I see it as us needing to be comfortable with the personnel we have, and the style in which we play.  The signs are there and, much like them last season, it will take time to see just how good this squad will be.  What I WILL say, at this point, is that we seem to be far more creative than we were last season.

Can we strengthen ?  Absolutely.  Do we NEED to ?  Depends on who is available - a RW would be great... but that also does a disservice to Matondo who has barely got his feet under the table.  Another striker would be great - but why would we if Alfredo screws the nut ?  Roofe reckons he is almost back (though we know he can't be relied upon consistently.  A creative midfielder would be great, but Tillman and Lawrence can both play that role.

I guess what we need to ask ourselves is what position really does need strengthening and who would actually be available within our budget, without breaking wage structure, in that position and would they be a significant upgrade ? 

last year was tight but they also lost their first 3 away games.........

We must strengthen or it is a huge risk for me. 

If we don't buy a striker we need Colak to stay fit all season and play every game as things stand more or less. We would at very minimum be taking a huge risk in the striking department. 

We still don't have a Right winger who is a first pick and are weak in the number 8 position. 

We need 2 players at least. 

1 hour ago, craig said:

Spend when you think you NEED to spend, not just because you have the funds to do so.  I think our squad is in a strong position.  That said, I think we could do with another striker and a creative mid - and if being greedy a RW.

Yes, agree. We need more goals especially from CM/AM and RW.

1 hour ago, craig said:

How do you know that the manager hasnt said that he is happy with what he has ? 

Haven't heard him say he is happy either 

1 hour ago, craig said:

Are you saying that the club havent backed Gio ?

I think, looking at the playing squad as is we could give him more options than he currently has.

1 hour ago, craig said:

Surely Glen Kamara is the only example we need to know that you don't have to spend a ton of money to get a signing right ?

Yeah if we can get quality cheap lets get it. Its harder to do for sure. But if its an option I'm happy for us to pursue it.

1 hour ago, craig said:

Are you saying we havent signed Colak, Matondo, Ridvan, Tillman, Lawrence, Davies this summer ?

Am i?

Edited by Sutton_blows_goats

10 minutes ago, the gunslinger said:

last year was tight but they also lost their first 3 away games.........

We must strengthen or it is a huge risk for me. 

If we don't buy a striker we need Colak to stay fit all season and play every game as things stand more or less. We would at very minimum be taking a huge risk in the striking department. 

We still don't have a Right winger who is a first pick and are weak in the number 8 position. 

We need 2 players at least. 

They did, that is correct.  But we also lost our way when Gio arrived as he was trying to work out the players and style.  Celtic are a strong team, no doubt.  But so too are we.  This is the way that the league, historically, was - two strong teams at battle.  Our demotion put paid to competition.  Our invincible season put paid to competition.  But those years were outliers.

There is huge risk to BOTH teams.  Have they strengthened ?  Probably.  CCV and Jota were there last season anyway.  At CB Jenz seems to have strengthened them but hasnt been tested yet.  That new signing is a striker or a winger, right ?  Which means Kyogo or Abada will get dropped/replaced/subbed.

At the end of the day, football is 11 v 11.

We only need Colak to remain fit all season if Morelos stays in the huff - but listening to GvB it would seem that Morelos has already knuckled down.  We certainly don't have an established RW, but I am not one to get on the back of Wright - I actually think he is a decent player who gets a bad rap.  And we also have Matondo there - we don't have the finance to have 3 players for a position.

I would agree Re the #8 - but we have a TON of midfielders - we would, IMHO, need to see someone leave before we bring someone in for that position or we have too many midfielders.  Personally, and I hate even saying it, Kamara would be the natural one to go as he and Lundstram together doesnt seem to regularly fit that well.   That said, do we have the finance to bring someone in for that position AND retain Kamara ?  Yeah, we do.

7 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

Yes, agree. We need more goals especially from CM/AM and RW.

Haven't heard him say he is happy either 

I think, looking at the playing squad as is we could give him more options than he currently has.

Yeah if we can get quality cheap lets get it. Its harder to do for sure. But if its an option I'm happy for us to pursue it.

Am i?

The time to appropriately assess is after midnight tomorrow :)