[FT] Livingston 1 - 2 Rangers (Arfield 73; Tavernier 74)

3 minutes ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

Does it matter? We got three points on a notoriously tricky ground/pitch for goodness sakes. That was our main objective on match day 1.

Why did you bring up the comparison to matches from last season if you think it unimportant?

Draws were a problem last season but only two, I think, were a case of falling behind and then failing to regain the lead.

The typical kind of draw, last season, was to go ahead before switching off and conceding.

Souttar had a bit of a nightmare today, however I will not write him off so early in his Rangers career, better players than him have struggled to settle into the weight of the Rangers jersey, most recently Bassey & Lundstrum.

Just now, ranger_syntax said:

Why did you bring up the comparison to matches from last season if you think it unimportant?

Draws were a problem last season but only two, I think, were a case of falling behind and then failing to regain the lead.

The typical kind of draw, last season, was to go ahead before switching off and conceding.

That could have happened today as we only had a one goal advantage. 

7 minutes ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

I'm not getting the logic here. Why do some require time to settle and some don't? 

I can't tell you why.

The best way for you to find out would probably be to go and ask a footballer that didn't need time to settle in.

3 minutes ago, ranger_syntax said:

Good point. I would expect Davies to become first choice for that position.

Souttar will be cover for Goldson surely? Or will he operate in a back 3? Only time will tell but I fully expect it to be Goldson and Davies if we start with a back 4.

7 minutes ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

Souttar will be cover for Goldson surely? Or will he operate in a back 3? Only time will tell but I fully expect it to be Goldson and Davies if we start with a back 4.

Quite.

I'm sure that 3 will be used at some point.

I hope it remains a tactical option rather than a regular formation.

17 minutes ago, ian1964 said:

Souttar had a bit of a nightmare today, however I will not write him off so early in his Rangers career, better players than him have struggled to settle into the weight of the Rangers jersey, most recently Bassey & Lundstrum.

You're correct not to write Souttar off.

I disagree with your description of Bassey and Lundstram though. Bassey clearly had loads to learn when we got him. He even left with many of the same weaknesses. Lundstram was almost always good when played in the correct position. Mentioning "the weight of the jersey" suggests deficient character which doesn't apply to either of them.