[FT] Livingston 1 - 2 Rangers (Arfield 73; Tavernier 74)

38 minutes ago, ranger_syntax said:

You're correct not to write Souttar off.

I disagree with your description of Bassey and Lundstram though. Bassey clearly had loads to learn when we got him. He even left with many of the same weaknesses. Lundstram was almost always good when played in the correct position. Mentioning "the weight of the jersey" suggests deficient character which doesn't apply to either of them.

Then we have to agree to disagree!

5 hours ago, Ted McMinnime said:

Isn't it a tad unusual for an opposition manager to admit one of his players should have "walked"? Not many also refer to opposition players by their nicknames "Scotty" and "Tav"?  He also "knew" Arfield was going to score? Sounds like he had the Gers for an away win on his coupon. Can imagine that interview going down a storm in some quarters! :roflmao2:

He speaks truths, if people can't handle that, then they can, to steal a Scots phrase..."Get Tae"

Edited by Malangsob

I can’t say I was majorly impressed with any of our new signings, it took the old guard to dig us out of this one. Exception was perhaps Colak who was hard done by with the offside. Still though, it’s a shite pitch that we’ve always struggled with so I’ll forget about it and look forward to the next game.

11 hours ago, buster. said:

I think you saw the value that Morelos adds by dropping deep to get involved when you contrast Colak staying up top and waiting for service.

Colak needs more support and I think the two could compliment each other, forming a fairly formidable pairing.

3-5-2, definitley an option to consider for games like today.

That's how we won the league.  Playing

Morelos behind the striker.  We miss his hold up play never mind his goals.   

1 hour ago, PoohBear said:

I can’t say I was majorly impressed with any of our new signings, it took the old guard to dig us out of this one. Exception was perhaps Colak who was hard done by with the offside. Still though, it’s a shite pitch that we’ve always struggled with so I’ll forget about it and look forward to the next game.

It's a tough first game for any new start and I expected much of the team selection  that gio picked.   A team of new starts would have struggled today.  I had no qualms about  the team selection. Poor Soutar got chucked about  like a scud book today but I have to say noumbe will do that to a few more defenders this season.   I thought he would have been the ideal choice for this type of game but he had a shocker.  He wont want to watch this game again though.  robably put himself down the pecking order as well.  Lawrence did ok as did Tillman ok but not many people will shine as much as you would like on that pitch, especially on their first game.  Colak is a player ,  but he needs better support .  4 touches in the first half is testament  to the service he receives,  On the topic of the pitch there were a few times today when the ball took an awkward bounce, that is it didnt bounce true.     6 weeks down the line I expect a few of the new starts to be in the starting line up with Barasic  and Kamara likely to take a back seat. And  I think this may be the beginning of the end for Ryan jack.  We dont have time for passengers I'm afraid and reckon hes in the last chance saloon.    

9 hours ago, ian1964 said:

Souttar had a bit of a nightmare today, however I will not write him off so early in his Rangers career, better players than him have struggled to settle into the weight of the Rangers jersey, most recently Bassey & Lundstrum.

I'd agree with the previous comments. Bassey was a boy learning his game and Lundstrum was initially played in formations that didn't suit him. Neither had issues because they were at Rangers. 

Souttar has had 3 bad games in a row. I'm not sure if it's because he's playing on the left, he's not fully fit/match fit, personal issues, the weight of the jersey or something inherent in his game, all of which I've seen suggested. 

He shouldn't be written off but he needs to sort out whatever the issue is and hopefully we'll see him at the top of his game. 

He definitely needs games, but I don't want him starting on Tuesday. It's too big a game to risk playing someone as off form. 

10 hours ago, ian1964 said:

McGregor is still by far a better keeper than McLaughlin IMO, seems ageism is the reason some fans want rid of McGregor!

Age has nothing to do with it, for me. 

McGregor is the better shot-stopper. 

McLaughlin is better with his feet, his distribution and his command of the box. 

As a team, Rangers need the latter over the former, IMO.