1 hour ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

After watching Man City and Liverpool dominate by playing a back 4 with high pressing full backs, 3 CB's seems very outdated.  Would prefer Lundstrum as one holding midfielder to sit in front of the CBs. As Henderson does for Liverpoool.

Manchester City and Liverpool might as well be playing a different sport.

15 minutes ago, buster. said:

Manchester City and Liverpool might as well be playing a different sport.

I hear you but ultimately it's all relevant. They play with XI players who can control and pass a football. They don't like to go long. We need to work out a way to utilise our midfielders to:

1. Aid McLaughlin when playing from the back.

2. Provide momentum and forward thinking passes.

Formations are important to counter opposition tactics, the right players in the right positions helps us carry out specific game plans, however for me the MOST important aspect to whether we are successful or not is the players being up for it, being hungrier than the opposition, laying their bodies on the line for the team, working as a unit and believing in themselves and keeping their composure when opportunities present themselves. 

18 minutes ago, compo said:

Best starting eleven i don’t think the manager even knows that one 

I don't believe it's something that anyone "knows". Seems to me it's something a manager learns on the training field and, more importantly, in competitive games. Right now what GvB needs to be searching for is to understand why so many players in Belgium simply didn't switch on. Until he can fix that it won't matter what formation or which players take the field. 

5 minutes ago, Bill said:

I don't believe it's something that anyone "knows". Seems to me it's something a manager learns on the training field and, more importantly, in competitive games. Right now what GvB needs to be searching for is to understand why so many players in Belgium simply didn't switch on. Until he can fix that it won't matter what formation or which players take the field. 

A desired starting XI can grow organically or should that be accidentally?? Look at the development of Lundstrum and Bassey through the course of last season. No-one would have charted their particular trajectories in the starting XI.

12 minutes ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

A desired starting XI can grow organically or should that be accidentally?? Look at the development of Lundstrum and Bassey through the course of last season. No-one would have charted their particular trajectories in the starting XI.

I'd even suggest that's pretty much how it always happens.

24 minutes ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

I hear you but ultimately it's all relevant. They play with XI players who can control and pass a football. They don't like to go long. We need to work out a way to utilise our midfielders to:

1. Aid McLaughlin when playing from the back.

2. Provide momentum and forward thinking passes.

I sometimes see teams play tactics that are beyond them and end up paying for it.

I think we have often played tactics that haven't suited the players we have.

It often comes down to attitude and hunger for us because unless the tempo is high, watching us against a low block can be like drawing teeth.

The more I look at it, the less convinced I am about our squad and think that this season isn't going to bring much joy.