Dodgy red cards given and not given

It is often said that referees balance out decisions within games. When they have made a mistake or been somewhat harsh, it's balanced out later in the game.

This is a common view among fans but any ex referee I have ever heard denies this happens. Maybe it's not a conscious "I need to make amends later" but when an  incident occurs just possibly their judgement is affected.

Recent events may even suggest that it goes beyond referees correcting their own mistakes and there is a wider network correction going on. Was Sands' getting off with a red card the balance against Lundstram's (rescinded) red card? Let's hope so. Cause if Lundstram's was simply a difference in interpretation and therefore no corrective action is deemed necessary but Sands was an error, there may be some balancing out going on next weekend.

6 minutes ago, Yorkie Bear said:

It is often said that referees balance out decisions within games. When they have made a mistake or been somewhat harsh, it's balanced out later in the game.

This is a common view among fans but any ex referee I have ever heard denies this happens. Maybe it's not a conscious "I need to make amends later" but when an  incident occurs just possibly their judgement is affected.

Recent events may even suggest that it goes beyond referees correcting their own mistakes and there is a wider network correction going on. Was Sands' getting off with a red card the balance against Lundstram's (rescinded) red card? Let's hope so. Cause if Lundstram's was simply a difference in interpretation and therefore no corrective action is deemed necessary but Sands was an error, there may be some balancing out going on next weekend.

I do think there's an element of unconscious bias going on but, for the most part, I just think it's general mistakes/incompetence.

For example, whilst at the game the other day, I didn't think the second Sands incident was even a foul but it clearly was once I seen it on TV.  Bizarrely, I did think the first incident was a yellow card at the time but didn't afterwards.

It seems to be quite a common thing.

The narrative has been set by Sportscene's trial by TV set up and I expect next Saturday's game to have some inconsistent refereeing, which occurs at most Scottish football matches.  

I think the level of media scrutiny comes into it and on Saturday, Don Robertson didn't want to get his red card out, especially so early in the game and against us. Turns out the decision was so bad that the media scrutiny is worse for Robertson than if he had sent Sands off.

He was fine with the early yellow (no complaints, I would have expected it at the other end) but ignored the second.

Then it was about evening up the bad decisions within the 90 minutes. We should have had a penalty and they could have finished with 10.

I note Robertson hasn't been mentioned as much as Collum, last week. That is what a reputation does I guess.

2 hours ago, Frankie said:

I do think there's an element of unconscious bias going on but, for the most part, I just think it's general mistakes/incompetence.

Exactly.

We all need to get off the pity party soap box and accept the fact that SPL refs are dog shit...full stop. 

What do ya want for free? 

Start paying candidates and the quality will rise. 

2 minutes ago, Malangsob said:

Exactly.

We all need to get off the pity party soap box and accept the fact that SPL refs are dog shit...full stop. 

What do ya want for free? 

Start paying candidates and the quality will rise. 

They get well paid.

No difference in quality ensued when what was a big match fee increase came about (a few years ago).

5 minutes ago, buster. said:

They get well paid.

No difference in quality ensued when what was a big match fee increase came about (a few years ago).

My bad...part time.

But my main point still stands...people pissin and moanin about what a ref does really comes off as...it all evens out. 

As we can clearly see by this past week. 

Sands should have been walkin...he was given a pass. 

Edited by Malangsob