1 minute ago, Rousseau said:

It's still too early to judge Ross Wilson.

A DoF has to be judged on a longer term than a window or two.

It's not been egregiously bad. 

The signings have not quite worked, but for me, that's because of GvB's inability to use them properly. 

It's the appointment of GvB itself that is most disappointing, and that's 100% the fault of Ross Wilson. 

Wilson’s been here three years is it? 
isn’t that long enough?

And isnt the DoF responsible for the appointment of the manager?

Just now, RANGERRAB said:

Wilson’s been here three years is it? 
isn’t that long enough?

And isnt the DoF responsible for the appointment of the manager?

I don't think so - or, not quite. I've always thought the signings have been fine; not great, but fine. 

Yes, that's what I meant: He's failed with the appointment of GvB. That's what I'm most critical of. 

2 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

It's still too early to judge Ross Wilson.

A DoF has to be judged on a longer term than a window or two.

It's not been egregiously bad. 

I feel there have been issues with recruitment, mostly in the squad building area but i do agree with you. Wilson was able to negotiate a massive deal for Bassey for example, lets be honest no one on here really thought we could get that kind of deal for him. Some on Rangers twitter were happy to punt him for 10 million.

I think if Wilson was able to identify and communicate what has went wrong with the squad building (big squad, old players, high wage bill, players made of Styrofoam) then he could win back some support and build confidence from the fan base.

At high level detail the changes to the recruitment team and explain how it will work moving forward and why that will fix it.

2 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

I feel there have been issues with recruitment, mostly in the squad building area but i do agree with you. Wilson was able to negotiate a massive deal for Bassey for example, lets be honest no one on here really thought we could get that kind of deal for him. Some on Rangers twitter were happy to punt him for 10 million.

I think if Wilson was able to identify and communicate what has went wrong with the squad building (big squad, old players, high wage bill, players made of Styrofoam) then he could win back some support and build confidence from the fan base.

At high level detail the changes to the recruitment team and explain how it will work moving forward and why that will fix it.

I agree that there have definitely been issues.

Appointing GvB is the worst, for me, but that's only with hindsight; I wasn't quite convinced at the time, but most were quite happy with that appointment.

I don't think Wilson's performance has been egregiously bad to warrant a change, there.

As I've always said, I think the squad is generally fine - barring a few glarring gaps - and that a better manager gets more of the team. 

I would say also, I feel like this last window is better with regards to squad building: Young, cheap players with potential. 

Whereas previously, it was more stop-gap; as if it was a 'just win the title, at all costs'-type approach, which is not sustainable. 

44 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

This was roughly my view until a couple of weeks ago.

I'm now seeing a drop in fitness and ball skills compared to last season. Preseason was obviously a lot less successful than it was under Gerrard and that's partly the cause of the current on-field issues. That's got to fall at Gio's door.

His tactics also seem part of the problem. Playing a right winger appears to restrict Tav's ability to get up and down, which has always been a major part of our play over the past few years. Is Tav injured? We don't know, but if he is then why is he taking penalties? If he's not then he's either being restricted by the formation or his approach, both of which Gio is responsible for.

Lundstrum's reaction to losing the ball in the lead up to the first goal also suggests Gio doesn't have the squad fully behind him, and that'# difficult to recover from.

There has been an overreaction from our support but many of the criticisms are justified.

Your points are irrefutable. There has been a drop in fitness, ball skills and attitude. For me squad depth (what ceptic have over us) could be causing these problems. Our better players (whom are few) are having to work harder to make up or our decimated squad. Transfers (ceptic have spent way more supporting ange) have not been a great help either. If Gio had been supported in equal measure to ange I would be happy to see him replaced, but I cannot jump on the "Gio Out" bandwagon until I feel like he has had a fair crack of the whip. Whether or not the squad is fully behind him we don't know.

12 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I would say also, I feel like this last window is better with regards to squad building: Young, cheap players with potential. 

Whereas previously, it was more stop-gap; as if it was a 'just win the title, at all costs'-type approach, which is not sustainable. 

Indeed. In fact, I'd argue that the stop-gap 'win at all costs' type approach in previous years is skewing how good this window could turn out to be.

33 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I don't think so - or, not quite. I've always thought the signings have been fine; not great, but fine. 

Yes, that's what I meant: He's failed with the appointment of GvB. That's what I'm most critical of. 

I don’t think the signings have been fine. That’s a big part of the problem. Too many are injured or can’t get in the starting XI. 

28 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Which ‘young cheap players with potential’ ?

Ross Wilson signings that I can think of, 

Hagi ,Kamberi, Bassey,McLaughlan ,Defoe ( though he signed on loan prior to Wilson , he signed a contract under Wilson ) ,Balogun , Simpson ,Roofe ,

Itten , Bacuna , Diallo , Sakala , Zungu ,Wright , Ofoborh ( giving this one a pass due to the boys health issue ), Lundstram , Sands ( loan with option ) ,Tillman (loan with option ) , Zukowski , Ramsey , Matondo , Colak , Yilmaz , Souttar , Lawrence , The other boy from Leicester that I can't remember his name , Helander , then there are loads at academy level  .

Realistically that's a horrendous list of failures imho .

Forgot Ben Davies , plus the resigning of Macgregor , Davis and arfield , Goldson and Tav.

Edited by rbr