There was an over reaction to Gascoigne simulating flute playing, but comparisons end there.

It was not a gesture of his faith or really any faith. It referenced the orange order which has political AND religious goals and has a constitution which many regard as blatantly anti-catholic.

craig is correct that blessing oneself can be inciteful but I have to repeat that this depends entirely on the audience being religious bigots in the first place. In Boruc's case you also have to remember that he does this at every ground and match and it is therefore difficult to sustain the allegation of deliberately inciting rival fans. This is another distinction from Gascoigne who did not mimic flute playing at any other ground and was clearly trying to further endear himself with the Rangers supporters and/or wind up the Celtic fans.

Jimmy - you're sounding seriously intolerant. Firstly the 'party tunes' are not religious. Which part of FT* celebrates protestantism? Secondly why should I as a proud atheist take afront at an individual blessing himself or indeed any other religious gesture? Why can't I just recognise that there are lots of different religions and cultures and accept this? Finally the solution to widespread religious intolerance is increased tolerance rather than hiding behind closed doors.

Gribz - you will not be surprised to learn that I, as an atheist, agree but lots of footballers and other individuals have their lucky rituals.

I read a great quote recently:

"Its only those who feel Bitter towards something/one who feels the bitterness"

If I had been at the game where Boruc blessed himself i wouldnt have blinked an eye lid about it. The best way would have been to reverse the situation and get him worked up about things and ignored him when he is trying to raise attention.

I might be off topic a little but thought id add it on.

There was an over reaction to Gascoigne simulating flute playing, but comparisons end there.

It was not a gesture of his faith or really any faith. It referenced the orange order which has political AND religious goals and has a constitution which many regard as blatantly anti-catholic.

So its ok to cause offence with religion (Boruc) but not political statements. Bit of a mixed up Celtic fan here. :confused:

Ally - I partly agree with the point that you're making. Remember I'm an atheist, and therefore don't distinguish between fen1an / proddy / unionist / republican bastard. But I don't make the rules.

Ally - I partly agree with the point that you're making. Remember I'm an atheist, and therefore don't distinguish between fen1an / proddy / unionist / republican bastard. But I don't make the rules.

Fair point BC - but the rules don't necessarily mean that the rules are correct - just that they have been deemed that way by rule-makers.

Jimmy - you're sounding seriously intolerant. Firstly the 'party tunes' are not religious. Which part of FT* celebrates protestantism? Secondly why should I as a proud atheist take afront at an individual blessing himself or indeed any other religious gesture? Why can't I just recognise that there are lots of different religions and cultures and accept this? Finally the solution to widespread religious intolerance is increased tolerance rather than hiding behind closed doors.

So being an Atheist are you an Implicit or Explicit in your beliefs.

Religious intolerance has been around for Millenia, and it is this shove it in your face attitude that has apparently caused all the problems. Bands playing music in the street as they march along - in your face religion - not good.

Blessing yourself on the field of play - apparently you are saying that is perfectly fine. It is not. It is not intolerant to ask someone to keep there religion to themselves. Yes, every year have your parades and whatever - and then be done with it for the rest of the year to allow life to be lived.

craig is correct that blessing oneself can be inciteful but I have to repeat that this depends entirely on the audience being religious bigots in the first place. In Boruc's case you also have to remember that he does this at every ground and match and it is therefore difficult to sustain the allegation of deliberately inciting rival fans. This is another distinction from Gascoigne who did not mimic flute playing at any other ground and was clearly trying to further endear himself with the Rangers supporters and/or wind up the Celtic fans.

Do not suggest for 1 minute that boruc felt the need to bless himself on purely religious grounds in front of the copland rd. Does he run up to the away support to bless himself at every ground? I think not. Every other player you see manages it quite well at the touch line or as they run on the park. why cant he?

His actions were contrived to say the least, just like his little stunt with the flag when even neil lennon knew he was on a loser. what a prick he looked that day and boy did he know it. so stop making excuses for the guy. hes endeared himself to the septic support with the "blessing incident" but with every other stunt he pulls he just makes himself look like the fool we all know he is. we have a special word in scotland for guys like him. its FUD!

That one was so glaringly obvious it add to be said. :devil:

As a few have mentioned, you're not the bitter fan we associate with internet wind ups and i'm glad you didn't get offended by the joke.

I don't agree that Boruc's actions (if it was merely crossing himself, which I highly doubt) were innocent, but I guess this is one arguement where you wont find a satisfactory resolution on either side.