WALTER SMITH paid tribute to Kris Boyd after the striker notched his 50th and 51st Rangers goals in the 4-0 CIS Insurance Cup win over East Fife this evening.

Boyd reached his half-century with a tap-in from close range and then added No 51 from the penalty spot after Thomas Buffel was fouled in the box.

The striker, who moved to Ibrox from Kilmarnock in January 2006, has often had to settle for a place on the substitutes bench this season as Smith runs an eye over new strikers Jean-Claude Darcheville and Daniel Cousin.

But the manager revealed that the Ayrshire goal machine remains a very big part of his future plans.

Smith said: "It's terrific going from Kris. He's worked hard this season in terms of his fitness.

"He has done really well for us and I think he's improving as a player. He has got his own psyche where he sees himself as a goal scorer first and foremost.

"But since I've come back to the club he's also worked very hard for the team as well. We have no complaints about him at all.

"We know what Kris can do. Fifty goals in two and a half years in a Rangers team that has not been that superior to the opposition is a terrific testimony to him."

51 goals in what, just under 2 years? And what age is he, 23? By that ratio, he'll get 100 every 2 years, meaning by the time he's 33 he'll have hit what, 500 goals? I've had a couple of beers after work tonight so my calculation could be, and probably is, miles off. Now obviously that ratio won't continue, surely, but it's still a top-notch strike rate.

I, like most, don't rate Boyd all that highly due to his all-round game being a tad lackluster, but you can't argue with goals, and if he keeps grabbing them at the rate he has done since arriving, more power to him.

So yeah, just thought I'd post this to congratulate Kris on reaching the half century tonight.

Aye,the boy's a goal machine and there have been many discussions on here about him,not a favourite with a lot of fans,but for me he just luvs to score goals and IMO we should be building a team around him.Now i'm going to get slaughtered for that comment !!!!!!!!!!

51 goals in a season and a half speaks for itself. He's never going to be the striker with pace or who puts himself about a bit in all of the action in the games, but as long as he keeps scoring then we cant really complain too much. (apparently we can... :D )

I still think he is a slow poor "footballer" but he gets goals left right and centre.

He is ideal for most Domestic games as the other players around him will do enough to give him chances but when it comes to the big games he should be on the bench.

Looking at his goal count, id be interested to see the pattern. He normally gets a couple in a game then doesnt score for few weeks then a couple again.

If he was getting them in every game I think his doubters would have no argument. But its the shocking games were he does nothing until he is subbed that raises all the questions on him.

No one can doubt his goal scoring ratio and don't get me wrong I am actually a fan of Boyd but how many goals has he actually scored against top notch oposition, ie in Europe and the scum.

Correct me if i'm wrong but didn't Flo have a superb domestic goal ratio but struggled against better opposition and look how he was slaughtered! (ok there is a difference of approx £11m but you can see my point)

No one can doubt his goal scoring ratio and don't get me wrong I am actually a fan of Boyd but how many goals has he actually scored against top notch oposition, ie in Europe and the scum.

Correct me if i'm wrong but didn't Flo have a superb domestic goal ratio but struggled against better opposition and look how he was slaughtered! (ok there is a difference of approx �£11m but you can see my point)

Agreed,however if he had all the attributes that people are complaining about,he wouldn't be at Ibrox :cheers:

He is ideal for most Domestic games as the other players around him will do enough to give him chances but when it comes to the big games he should be on the bench.

I agree with that Gribz, i think (correct me if im wrong) he's only scored 1 goal against tic since he's joined us and hasnt been prolific in europe either.

Flo's price tag was always going to bring him the responsibilty of banging in a goal every game, like Boyd, it didnt happen much in Europe or against tic again. I think he got a goal every other game though, 40 goals in 80 apps.

and i'm not talking 5min cameos?

:o @ last nights drunken post. :D

You mean Sebo appreances?? My point precisely R.E Sebo. Im actually glad you posted that!

Dont worry about drunken points, there hasnt been enough of them around lately. Thats why im drinking now and it will be my turn tonight :)