Not his biggest fan - but you can't argue with his goal scoring record. Here is to the next 50 - and the next 50 - and the next 50 etc....

Boyd, Boyd, Krissy Krissy Boyd, he does fook all but scores a goal, krissy Krissy Boyd....

Cammy F

Same as Cammy i am not his biggest fan and it is the games he does not score that i worry about. You could as well put a dustbin up front. In modern football you cannot afford a passenger even if he does score goals. A striker has to be able to hold a ball up to let the midfield and wingers get up to support him otherwise the ball becomes a boomerang and is back at your own penalty box before the keeper can shout "ooouuuttt"

Well done Chris but i see you for games we know we will dominate and super-sub.

His goal-scoring is second to none!

Fifty-One A Winner

Exclusive Picture Special On The Goals That Put Ibrox Net-Buster In The History Books Boydy's Up There With Me And Ally Says Gers Scoring Legend Forrest

By David Mccarthy

JIM FORREST isn't the sort to shout about his achievements from the tree tops. But the only man to have scored 50 goals for Rangers in a quicker time than Kris Boyd is more than happy to talk about the latest Ibrox scoring sensation.

And he believes the current No.9 will keep on banging them in because finding the net comes as naturally to him as breathing.

Forrest, now 63 and still living in Glasgow following the fortunes of Rangers, took only 47 games to hit the first 50 goals of his Ibrox career after replacing another legend, Jimmy Millar, as centre forward.

Boyd took just 60 starts to mark his half century but the current Scotland striker's goals-per-match ratio still looks pedestrian compared to the havoc wreaked by Forrest between 1962 and 1964.

Sandy Jardine, at Hampden yesterday representing Rangers at the CIS Cup draw, described Forrest as 'lightning quick with a lethal right foot'. The man himself is much too modest to say if that description is accurate.

But actions speak louder than words and Forrest's record screams quality in front of goal - even if he was to go on to be treated incredibly shabbily by the club he loved.

Advertisement

He grabbed 145 goals in 167 appearances.

He got 57 of them in the one season, 1964-65 - aclub record even Boyd will struggle to beat.

But Forrest was bombed by the club shortly after failing to score in the calamitous Scottish Cup defeat by Berwick Rangers in 1967.

Incredibly, the attacker was only 22 when he was shown the door at Ibrox - a fact that makes his scoring record even more jaw-dropping.

He went on to play for Preston before returning to Scotland for a five-year stint at Aberdeen, where he won the Scottish Cup in 1970.

But despite his treatment at Ibrox, Forrest's heart remains there and that's why it is gladdened to see Boyd following in his footsteps.

He told Record Sport:"I'm delighted to see him scoring so many goals, just as I was happy when Ally McCoist was doing it every week.

They're very similar, in that they instinctively know where the goals are. I suppose I was the same. You just know where to go and where to be when the ball arrives. It is something that can't be taught or coached into you."

Forrest didn't have a clue until this week that he held the record for Rangers' 'fastest 50'. He said: "It came as a pleasant surprise. I was never one for bothering too much about records but with Boyd getting close to the 50 mark it was in the papers and I read with interest.

"It was no surprise to me that he got to 50 against East Fife because he is just a player who is going to score goals all his career and he would always get chances in that match.

"I haven't had the chance to see a lot of him in the flesh but obviously I've seen him on television and from what I can see, he just knows how to be in the right place at the right time."

Forrest scoffs at the work-shy accusations that have dogged Boyd throughout his career, claiming much of his toil is done un-noticed.

He said: "Do you think he just gets into scoring positions by magic? Sometimes work-rate isn't about charging around at 100mph looking busy. He has to work at finding a yard of space in the hardest place on the pitch - the penalty box.

"No, Boyd is a worker all right. It's just that people don't really notice it."

It is put to Forrest that at 24, Boyd is still just a boy who can go on to break all kinds of records with the club between now and the end of his career.

The former Ranger doesn't disagree - although he baulks at the description of Boyd as a boy.

He said: "Boys don't play for Rangers. You become a man the minute that blue jersey is pulled over your head.

"You have to be a man to live with the pressure of being a Rangers player. I know I was - and I left the club when I was just 22 years old.

"I hope Boyd goes on to break every scoring record because that will help Rangers do well. Ican't help it - it's my upbringing. I'll always be a Rangers fan and I want everyone who plays for the club to do well."

WHERE THE GOALS WERE SCORED...

1. Peterhead (h) 7-1-06

2. Peterhead (h) 7-1-06

3. Peterhead (h) 7-1-06

4. Livingston (h) 21-1-06

5. Livingston (h) 21-1-06

6. Inverness (a) 29-1-06

7. Inverness (a) 29-1-06

8. Hibs (h) 18-2-06

9. Falkirk (h) 4-3-06

10. Kilmarnock (h) 11-3-06

11. Dundee Utd (a) 2-4-06