Here comes VAR

One week to go until VAR is introduced in Scotland. I predict another SPFL clusterfûck with a litany of inexplicable decisions and misapplication. What’s your opinion? Will it finally get rid of our mysterious and almost certainly corrupt refereeing failures? Or will it simply provide an additional platform for bias and cheating?

I think the experience elsewhere shows that VAR will only really contribute if used with sincere intent. Otherwise it’s full of holes. Selective camera angles, inexplicable decisions despite the evidence that no one agrees with, referees abdicating decision making to VAR, etc

It’ll help in some areas but it’s guaranteed to create new issues, especially until it beds in.    We need full time refs and I’d also mic them up like they do in the rugby - it’ll add to the spectacle and stop all confusion in the ground when something is referred.  It’ll also cut out a lot of the egotistical posturing from refs and players if they know everything they’re shouting is being broadcast. 

3 hours ago, Bill said:

One week to go until VAR is introduced in Scotland. I predict another SPFL clusterfûck with a litany of inexplicable decisions and misapplication. What’s your opinion? Will it finally get rid of our mysterious and almost certainly corrupt refereeing failures? Or will it simply provide an additional platform for bias and cheating?

I think that we will see some improvement in decisions. There are a number of mistakes that result from incompetence. These should be reduced.

There are other errors that it can do nothing to prevent. Imagine a fellow like Kevin Clancey, for example, working as a V.A.R. operator.

It will diminish the spectacle as it does everywhere.