Here comes VAR

20 minutes ago, Whosthedado said:

We'll get shafted and nothing will change. Detest VAR with a passion and it'll be even worse up here. Had my ST for 15-16 years think this will be my last 

Sadly, I feel similarly.  Recently, I've been looking at local junior clubs I can go and watch instead.  

Accordiong to Wikipaedia, that unimpeachable source, VAR in England operates like this:

There are four categories of decisions that can be reviewed.

Goal/no goal – attacking team commits an offence, ball out of play, ball entering goal, offside, handball, offences and encroachment during penalty kicks.

Penalty/no penalty – attacking team commits an offence, ball out of play, location of offence, incorrect awarding, offence not penalised.

Direct red card – denial of obvious goal-scoring opportunity, serious foul play, violent conduct/biting/spitting, using offensive/insulting/abusive language or gestures. All straight red cards are subject to review.

Mistaken identity in awarding a red or yellow card.

If Scotland is the same, or similar, which, perhaps it has to be for UEFA purposes/requirements, then there is plenty of scope for jiggery-popery. 

I remember reading somewhere that VAR improves the percentage of correct calls on the areas it has influence over from low 90's to high 90's. I can't remember if the data used was from only England or a larger group of countries.

The general incompetence of too many Scottish officials will surely simply extend in to the VAR environment. I very much doubt they'll have as many camera angles to look at as say, the EPL. But, it should mean the blatant stuff gets picked up.

Statos get ready for penalty and red card trends 😃

The media will be geared up to jump on whatever VAR events go down this weekend. Will VAR be geared up to see Kyogo (or whatever his name is) taking a dive ?

Will it settle down and work function to a reasonable degree after initial chaos ?

I don't think Scottish football is really geared up to let it.