Academy Teams v Hibs

I remember 20-odd years past receiving a telephone call from a well known Rangers supporter(sadly, no longer with us) telling me the latest Sellik wonderkid would be playing that evening against Rangers Youths at Broadwood. Aiden McGeady was the subject of phenomenal hype aged fifteen. I attended, the half time score was 2-0 Rangers, the full time 4-0 Rangers. McGeady came on as a half time Substitute and was substituted with ten minutes to play. Wullie McStay did not acknowledge him as he took his place at the back of the Sellik bench, where he sat on his own in a huff.

I remember Sellik would release a dozen lads every year from their youth scheme and Billy Stark made a comment along the lines that the entire scheme was set up to support one emerging player, Aiden McGeady. We had a conversation in the car returning from Broadwood, the consensus and conclusion being any youth scheme should first install the necessary skills into all lads, to ensure they. could make a living from the game. If any lad went on to make their living from professional football at Falkirk, Thistle or, Dunfermline; then fine the scheme could be judged a success.

I suspect the perfect pitch is to find a middle way, unearthing a Barry Ferguson, Charlie Miller, Nathan Patterson, Billy Gilmour, ..................... etc pays for the long term continuation of the scheme. What about Craig Halket, no one spotted his potential as he Skippered our youths to a Youth Cup win. He is at Hearts via Livi' and now a Scotland international. Liam Kelly is very similar. I could go on, they learned their trade at Auchenhowie, Rangers provided the tools.

Losing five games across the age groups to the same club over a weekend is an indication that something is wrong. Hibs have had a decent youth set up for over 20 years. Keven Thomson, Whittaker, Fletcher, Brown, O'Connor, Caldwell,  ........... and even Porteous. They have won both League and Cups at youth level. It might not be the players, it could be better coaches and a better set up? 

37 minutes ago, 26th of foot said:

I remember 20-odd years past receiving a telephone call from a well known Rangers supporter(sadly, no longer with us) telling me the latest Sellik wonderkid would be playing that evening against Rangers Youths at Broadwood. Aiden McGeady was the subject of phenomenal hype aged fifteen. I attended, the half time score was 2-0 Rangers, the full time 4-0 Rangers. McGeady came on as a half time Substitute and was substituted with ten minutes to play. Wullie McStay did not acknowledge him as he took his place at the back of the Sellik bench, where he sat on his own in a huff.

I remember Sellik would release a dozen lads every year from their youth scheme and Billy Stark made a comment along the lines that the entire scheme was set up to support one emerging player, Aiden McGeady. We had a conversation in the car returning from Broadwood, the consensus and conclusion being any youth scheme should first install the necessary skills into all lads, to ensure they. could make a living from the game. If any lad went on to make their living from professional football at Falkirk, Thistle or, Dunfermline; then fine the scheme could be judged a success.

I suspect the perfect pitch is to find a middle way, unearthing a Barry Ferguson, Charlie Miller, Nathan Patterson, Billy Gilmour, ..................... etc pays for the long term continuation of the scheme. What about Craig Halket, no one spotted his potential as he Skippered our youths to a Youth Cup win. He is at Hearts via Livi' and now a Scotland international. Liam Kelly is very similar. I could go on, they learned their trade at Auchenhowie, Rangers provided the tools.

Losing five games across the age groups to the same club over a weekend is an indication that something is wrong. Hibs have had a decent youth set up for over 20 years. Keven Thomson, Whittaker, Fletcher, Brown, O'Connor, Caldwell,  ........... and even Porteous. They have won both League and Cups at youth level. It might not be the players, it could be better coaches and a better set up? 

Andrew Shinnie came through at about the same time as Craig Halket. The brother of Graeme has had a reasonable career.

Both have been called up to the Scotland squad. Andrew actually started a match against Luxembourg.

Ross McCormick had a few appearances for Ranges and even scored an important Champions League group stage goal, but we released him around 2006. He would go on to cost eight figure transfer fees twice.

We've produced "decent" players over the years, but a big failing is the inability to utilise them in the first-team. 

McCormack played against Inter Milan (albeit with an injury crisis, I think?), so you think, surely he can come off the bench regularly, with the odd start against the diddies? He just disappeared. 

John Fleck was a big miss, for me. 

9 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

but a big failing is the inability to utilise them in the first-team.

For me we don't have to produce Fergusons, Huttons, Pattersons etc for the youth system to be a success. Even if we can produce guys who are good enough to be squad players for a few years and help support our squad to silverware then that's value add. Mo Ross, Chris Burke and Boab Malcolm are good examples of this. Say what you like about them as players but all have some medals to show for it. 

Charlie Adam was similar for us but went on to better success elsewhere.

Edited by Sutton_blows_goats

2 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

For me we don't have to produce Fergusons, Huttons, Pattersons etc for the youth system to be a success. Even if we can produce guys who are good enough to be squad players for a few years and help support our squad to silverware then that's value add. Mo Ross, Chris Burke and Boab Malcolm are good examples of this. Say what you like about them as players but all have some medals to show for it. 

Charlie Adam was similar for us but went on to better success elsewhere.

Adam was another management failing, for me.

Shoehorned into a wingers position, when he's slow as stop.  

Always had a good left-foot. 

Flourished when he was put into a deep-lying playmaker's position. 

(Semi-Recent) Wasted Youngsters XI: :D 

Hemmings - Hardie - McCormack

Shinnie

Fleck - J. Thompson

Adam

D. Cole - Halkett - Ross McCrorie

Robby McCrorie

Subs: J. Ness, S. Kelly, Barjonas, A. Murdoch, D. Furman