I'm hoping the WC will derail any momentum the Tims have and in turn will give us time to reset and get viable options back in the squad. A fit Goldson, Hagi, Roofe and Lawrence will undoubtedly make a difference to our options for the 2nd half of the season. This however is dependent on being within touching distance to them. 

24 minutes ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

I'm hoping the WC will derail any momentum the Tims have and in turn will give us time to reset and get viable options back in the squad. A fit Goldson, Hagi, Roofe and Lawrence will undoubtedly make a difference to our options for the 2nd half of the season. This however is dependent on being within touching distance to them. 

Will it, though?

They provide better quality than most other sides in the league, which will be enough most of the time, but it'll still be the same boring football that will come unstuck eventually, and won't allow us to overcome 'better' sides (i.e. Them). 

2 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Will it, though?

They provide better quality than most other sides in the league, which will be enough most of the time, but it'll still be the same boring football that will come unstuck eventually, and won't allow us to overcome 'better' sides (i.e. Them). 

The perfect example was last season. 

We were ahead, feeling quite comfortable, but we were not playing that well; we were scraping past games.

The xG showed that They were doing better and that they should be ahead. 

And, we know what happened. 

37 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Will it, though?

We won't know until it happens unfortunately. Anything else is guesswork (on both sides of the argument).

Theoretically, we could play terrible and continue to defeat the SPFL clubs outwith Celtic, then show up twice and defeat them. That would secure the league title.

Outwith OF games, Gio has the best record of all recent Rangers managers, so in theory all that is missing, is beating them.

Would there be any justification to sack a manager who won you the league no matter how "dire", or otherwise, the performances were? 

56 minutes ago, CammyF said:

We won't know until it happens unfortunately. Anything else is guesswork (on both sides of the argument).

Theoretically, we could play terrible and continue to defeat the SPFL clubs outwith Celtic, then show up twice and defeat them. That would secure the league title.

Outwith OF games, Gio has the best record of all recent Rangers managers, so in theory all that is missing, is beating them.

Would there be any justification to sack a manager who won you the league no matter how "dire", or otherwise, the performances were? 

Schrodinger's Bear?

My issue is that I don't see these results continuing with these types of performances. 

8 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Schrodinger's Bear?

My issue is that I don't see these results continuing with these types of performances. 

And that's a fair and valid point, but as is we keep getting same / more points than Celtic against the other SPL teams, then the league will be decided on the outcome of OF games.

I can't see us beating them 3 times, so we'll need to outperform them in all other games to give us a buffer. 

Given where we are currently, there are valid arguments for and against Gios removal. 

I think you can tell when a manager/team could go to the next level with better players. You can see a style of play and you can see players improving and outperforming their abilities. Better quality players would clearly bring better results and allow the system to work even better. We are the opposite of that under Gio, there is a total reliance on having better players to get results. 

Edited by DMAA

2 hours ago, Tannochsidebear said:

My biggest issue is who brings in the players? Is Gio the only Dutch manager in history to have 2 windows and not bring in any Dutch players or players from a previous club/league? I find that very strange. If Wilson is doing all the player trading and Gio is just there to coach, then it is surely more important to get rid of Wilson before January than Gio? 

Valid point, but like the argument for removing Gio, will the board sack Wilson given he has raked in (reported) record fees for Paterson and Bassey plus a circa £10M potential profit on Aribo?

The board sanction the transfer budget available for Wilson and / of Gio. They have to work under the restrictions of shopping in the bargain basement where "diamonds" are hard to find.