Liverpool and the National Anthem

It seems to me Liverpool fans have made a hell of a rod for their own backs. They claim they (the city) have been treated badly by Westminster governments who they accuse on managing the decline of the city and that their allegiance is to Scousery first.

Strangely, I cannot see this being mirrored in the Everton support, which suggests this is at heart just another attempt by Liverpool fans to scale the cliffs of victimhood. There may be more to it that I'm unaware of but from my current perspective the fans of that football club have a long tradition of attention seeking and self-pity. They seem to exist to be seen as "special" and that's never been an attractive look. I've been to Liverpool and I've been to Anfield and most of what I've seen is a long way from being special.

By booing the national anthem, I believe these people are showing themselves to be petty and disrespectful and increasingly like the fans of another anti-monarchist club closer to home.

1 hour ago, Bill said:

By booing the national anthem, I believe these people are showing themselves to be petty and disrespectful and increasingly like the fans of another anti-monarchist club closer to home.

clones/twins/co-joined etc. whatever you may put.

Liverpool supporters have been like this for years. They seem to have cast themselves as the true victims of Heysel. Remind me of the followers of another team of similar background.

Can’t speak about Evertonians in the present day but my brother married into an RC Evertonian family when Goodison was still the School of Soccer Science. Better people you couldn’t find. Their heritage was Lancashire rather than immigrant which might explain different attitudes.

Edited by Scott7

The UK joined the Common Market(EU) in 1973 and, there was tremendous effort put in to ensure all communities twinned with their continental equivalence. Glasgow proposed to twin with both Turin and Liverpool. All three cities had been centres of heavy industry but, were in various stages of deindustrialisation. Further, Glasgow were west facing Atlantic ports; both built on the basis of tobacco, molasses and, slavery. I began at strathclyde Uni' in 1974 and remember the Science faculties were asked to supply evidence of Glasgow - Liverpool cooperation in marine engineering, marine architecture and, in the evolution of tea clippers.

I was not, am not a Glaswegian; however, I thought the links were fairly obvious.

The Liverpudlian reaction was unanimously quelle horreur. The city council did not entertain the idea, MPs and Columnists took to newspapers to make unfavourable comparisons and, the more famous Liverpudlians all chorused, "no comment". The invitation was turned down. Liverpool was/is unique, it stands alone. Twenty years later, Liverpool accepted invitations for twinning with Dublin and Odessa.

Liverpool is the home of Knotty Ash and the Diddymen, it should be treated so.

I've always been intrigued by the Liverpudlian psyche - the cloying self-pity and desperation to be seen as victims, competing with their cheeky-chappie claims to be superior and worthy of better consideration.

They do seem to be a tad fucked up contradictory.

The Everton fans were singing the 'do do do do, f*ck the Tories' ditty at Craven Cottage on Saturday, so I think their support isn't much different. 

'Scouse not English', 'Republic of Mancunia' - Liverpool and Man Utd hate each other but they really are very much alike.  

I enjoyed seeing Leeds fans with Union Flag hats on enjoying their late winner at Anfield at the weekend.   😀🇬🇧

Edited by Gonzo79

Liverpudlians and Mancunians have inferiority complexes, their towns playing second fiddle to London.

That’s the advantage in coming from a wee town. You don’t have to worry about second fiddle. You’re not even in the orchestra.