Alchemist Required: Finance and a Major Overhaul by Summer 2023

Moving on........

Substantial overhaul required by the end of summer 2023

- Players

- Mgmt. & Coaching staff

- DoF ??

How do you finance that ?

What level of manager/player will be able to bring in?

UEFA CL prize money this season....... was LESS than UEFA EL prize money last season.

Figures don't include market pool (TV money)

Unless we somehow pull a series of rabbits out of the hat we are destined for another difficult period.

When Celtic imploded a couple of seasons back, they pulled the rabbits from the hat to take advantage of our return to inconsistent league form. However, they did that with a relatively major outlay.

I don't see who the players are who are going to bring in eight figure fees or anywhere near it.

Edited by buster.

3 minutes ago, buster. said:

Moving on........

- Players

- Mgmt. & Coaching staff

- DoF ??

UEFA CL prize money this season....... was LESS than UEFA EL prize money this season.

Unless we somehow pull a series of rabbits out of the hat we are destined for another difficult period.

When Celtic imploded a couple of seasons back, they pulled the rabbits from the hat to take advantage of our return to inconsistent league form. However, they did that with a relatively major outlay.

I don't see who the players are who are going to bring in eight figure fees or anywhere near it.

We need a manager and DOF to be in unison and to convince the board what's required for success on the pitch and financially off the pitch.  The player trading model won't really work if we don't have a manager and squad capable of winning the domestic title. The domestic title and entry to the CL Groups (for now at least) would then guarantee a level of finance to keep improving the team. This season's CL group was a hard one to add points and further prize money, but if we get a decent draw we should be able to add several more million to the prize fund, especially if we can do enough to drop into the EL knock outs. That's not an unobtainable goal. Success on the park should fuel a successful player trading model and that's what the manager and DOF should be made accountable for. However, the board need to make more funds available to build a squad that the manager believes is good enough to win the title. I don't believe they did that. You could argue about injuries etc. but again it's about having a squad that are capable not just an 11 or 15 players. I guess that's what frustrated Gerrard in the end, he knew we needed 2 strong players for every position, not just numbers of bodies. So for me the board have been short sighted - have believed too much in Wilson and his recruitment strategy, so he is also culpable. Gio doesn't help either, if he's stating he's happy with the squad. 

5 minutes ago, weebluedevil said:

We need a manager and DOF to be in unison and to convince the board what's required for success on the pitch and financially off the pitch.  The player trading model won't really work if we don't have a manager and squad capable of winning the domestic title. The domestic title and entry to the CL Groups (for now at least) would then guarantee a level of finance to keep improving the team. This season's CL group was a hard one to add points and further prize money, but if we get a decent draw we should be able to add several more million to the prize fund, especially if we can do enough to drop into the EL knock outs. That's not an unobtainable goal. Success on the park should fuel a successful player trading model and that's what the manager and DOF should be made accountable for. However, the board need to make more funds available to build a squad that the manager believes is good enough to win the title. I don't believe they did that. You could argue about injuries etc. but again it's about having a squad that are capable not just an 11 or 15 players. I guess that's what frustrated Gerrard in the end, he knew we needed 2 strong players for every position, not just numbers of bodies. So for me the board have been short sighted - have believed too much in Wilson and his recruitment strategy, so he is also culpable. Gio doesn't help either, if he's stating he's happy with the squad. 

This board are very much about Sustainability and rightly so. The new UEFA regulations as well.

Over the last few decades we have become used to throwing money at such problems and the accompanying red numbers in the accounts.

I don't think that is an option today. At least in the quantity required*.

* Failing a pleasant surprise in the upcoming accounts.

Hope someone at the AGM asks about the turnaround of recruitment staff and scouting in the summer. Been radio silence pretty much from the club about departures and arrivals in this area.

Did the likes of scoulding and Stevenson leave of their own accord or were they moved on due to poor performance? Who has replaced them and what’s the overall structure?

35 minutes ago, buster. said:

Moving on........

- Players

- Mgmt. & Coaching staff

- DoF ??

UEFA CL prize money this season....... was LESS than UEFA EL prize money last season.

Multiple issues require addressing and have been brought into sharp focus due to a combination of injuries and probably the worst possible CL group draw.

These factors have served to highlight our deficiencies. 

Seems to me that all our current problems can be labelled as symptomatic of poor strategy at every level. 

Squad that lacks quality, hasn't been bolstered by effective recruitment and contains far too many stale players well past their best. Add to that a lack of self belief and what appears to be a disconnect between the coaching staff and squad.

It cannot be easy for our board, trying to balance player budgets and capital expenditure on facilities that have been neglected for donkeys. I don't envy them at all.

Nevertheless it looks to me that high level planning has perhaps focused too much on stadium and training centre projects and gambled that the playing side could do enough to buy time for finances to stabilise. 

Effective strategy requires clear goals and the prioritisation of the basic product. 

Prime focus should be the team, coaches, recruitment and squad management,  take care of that and the finances will come to allow infrastructure outlay.

Our board have made mistakes that will take time and money to resolve in an environment not conducive to patience. 

They need to start communicating and explaining,  how much has been spent over the last few years on infrastructure? Was this outlay critical and unavoidable? Despite current circumstances do they have a steady hand on the tiller?

Candid answers may buy them some understanding and time to redress. More bluster and platitudes will not suffice. 

59 minutes ago, weebluedevil said:

The player trading model won't really work if we don't have a manager and squad capable of winning the domestic title.

That's the thing - when people talk about Ajax in the player trading model, and they falter in the league its because they are blooding a team of young/new players who are getting up to speed and improving performances year on year. Not sure they are finishing second ripping the backside out of 30 and 40 year olds.

31 minutes ago, buster. said:

New details included and more constructive than your reply.

Not sure about that. 

It's pretty much the same as your other thread:

First-team mgmt - P*sh.

Squad Mgmt - P*sh

Medical - P*sh

Saleable Assets - P*sh

Accounts - TBC, but... P*sh 

Conclusion: We need to pull a rabbit out of a hat. Magic. 

Constructive...

2 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Not sure about that. 

It's pretty much the same as your other thread:

First-team mgmt - P*sh.

Squad Mgmt - P*sh

Medical - P*sh

Saleable Assets - P*sh

Accounts - TBC, but... P*sh 

Conclusion: We need to pull a rabbit out of a hat. Magic. 

Constructive...

Take a leaf out of Gaspard's book. That was interesting and constructive.