Alchemist Required: Finance and a Major Overhaul by Summer 2023

1 hour ago, ranger_syntax said:

The manager can get more from this squad.

If the money has been used to stabilise the club finances then we will get the benefit of that in future.

Yes

16 minutes ago, ascender said:

Let's not forget how many years Celtic have had guaranteed European income with which to plan. And the fact they've not been able to progress in the CL just shows how massive the gulf is there now.

Why have we not let players like Jack, Helander and Roofe leave/actively tried to sell them/pay them off? That's three first team players we've not been able to rely-on for how many seasons now? Its not cheap to pay them off, but you could make the case that if we'd done that and replaced Roofe with another striker we would have gone in to the EL final with a fit striker.

That's the sort of thing that's driving me nuts - we're making the same mistakes year in, year out or just not addressing them.

Then we go and sign Souttar. Which I wasn't against... if his medical was sound and we'd got rid of Helander. Instead we've doubled the risk of injury at CB. Its maddening.

I wouldn't group Jack with Helander and Roofe. I think Jack is good enough and influential enough to keep around, and he plays enough games over the course.

Helander and Roofe are quality players, that we wouldn't ordinarily be able to sign. It worked for 55. 

However, I am now of the opinion that these two just don't play enough to warrant their presumably high wages. That money would be better spent elsewhere.  

1 hour ago, ranger_syntax said:

If the money has been used to stabilise the club finances then we will get the benefit of that in future.

IMO, we cannot stabilise finances and satisfy expectations whilst we operate in the current environment. 

The CL is a monkey on our backs and pushes us towards an unrealistic budget in the pursuit of sporadic revenue. 

That model cannot succeed in a 2 horse race, one nag will get its nose in front and the runner up gets peanuts despite spending more than it will earn in second place.

CL is designed for big 5 teams, it rewards big 5 teams and throws buttons at the rest of us.

Meanwhile, we can't afford not to overspend or our rivals will be in a 1 horse race.

Its not healthy for either team, not good for Scottish football and results in humiliation and profligacy. 

We should withdraw from CL and so should every FA outwith the B5.

Give them the super league they want.

Reduce the impact of failure and we could operate within our means, expectations managed realistically and our facilities and infrastructure would benefit from this freedom. 

We are chasing rainbows nowadays and the consequences are there for all to see.

21 minutes ago, ascender said:

Let's not forget how many years Celtic have had guaranteed European income with which to plan. And the fact they've not been able to progress in the CL just shows how massive the gulf is there now.

Why have we not let players like Jack, Helander and Roofe leave/actively tried to sell them/pay them off? That's three first team players we've not been able to rely-on for how many seasons now? Its not cheap to pay them off, but you could make the case that if we'd done that and replaced Roofe with another striker we would have gone in to the EL final with a fit striker.

That's the sort of thing that's driving me nuts - we're making the same mistakes year in, year out or just not addressing them.

Then we go and sign Souttar. Which I wasn't against... if his medical was sound and we'd got rid of Helander. Instead we've doubled the risk of injury at CB. Its maddening.

SAF used to always say before signing a player - CHECK HIS ATTENDANCE RECORD 

Maybe if we did that we wouldn’t have so many injured players just now

The thing is, we wouldn't have ben able to afford Roofe and Helander if they had had exemplary fitness records.

It's all a big balancing act, which is failing at the moment.

Edited by Gonzo79

2 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

In my opinion, we need a new manager, to cut out some of the deadwood from the playing squad and make sure we improve the first XI in the next two windows. 

It's amazing how quickly things can change when the right appointments are made.  

This.

2 hours ago, gaspard said:

IMO, we cannot stabilise finances and satisfy expectations whilst we operate in the current environment. 

The CL is a monkey on our backs and pushes us towards an unrealistic budget in the pursuit of sporadic revenue. 

That model cannot succeed in a 2 horse race, one nag will get its nose in front and the runner up gets peanuts despite spending more than it will earn in second place.

CL is designed for big 5 teams, it rewards big 5 teams and throws buttons at the rest of us.

Meanwhile, we can't afford not to overspend or our rivals will be in a 1 horse race.

Its not healthy for either team, not good for Scottish football and results in humiliation and profligacy. 

We should withdraw from CL and so should every FA outwith the B5.

Give them the super league they want.

Reduce the impact of failure and we could operate within our means, expectations managed realistically and our facilities and infrastructure would benefit from this freedom. 

We are chasing rainbows nowadays and the consequences are there for all to see.

I missed us taking part in the CL, even the theme tune. But this season has shown that the gulf between the haves and have nots is getting larger and larger. This campaign was hideous and painful, certainly not entertainment. I find most theories of how, why and who is responsible are no more enjoyable than the defeats we endured and they only serve to divide us. But we must go back if only to achieve the odd victory in a competition that we have become a whipping boy in. One of the halcyon days of my life was watching Rangers beating a star studded Parma team in the CL. I want to see our great club working towards giving us days like that again.  WATP

6 hours ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

That's the thing - when people talk about Ajax in the player trading model, and they falter in the league its because they are blooding a team of young/new players who are getting up to speed and improving performances year on year. Not sure they are finishing second ripping the backside out of 30 and 40 year olds.

Nail on the head. We cannot implement Ajax model as we cannot come second for a few years, we can have the odd academy player making us money like Patterson but the big money will come from players paying in the first team and winning trophies like Aribo and Bassey

5 hours ago, weebluedevil said:

Nail on the head. We cannot implement Ajax model as we cannot come second for a few years, we can have the odd academy player making us money like Patterson but the big money will come from players paying in the first team and winning trophies like Aribo and Bassey

The time to implement the "Ajax" model was in 2012/2013. We missed that opportunity. 

We have shown what is possible with both Patterson and Bassey (one a back up right back and one who only played 1 season).

As well as best young Scottish talent we need to be looking down south for the next Bassey (and Aribo). 

Gio had one transfer window, brought in 6 guys, all of whom good enough to win the league. Thing is, we have 4+ centre-halfs out, of which 4+ would be first picks. Morelos, for the first time in many years, has been out for a long spell (due to not rotating the squad, IMHO) and has yet to find his form. Stalwarts are not performing up to their level. And we continue to pick underperformers (in valuable data, not effort) and play wrong tactics in Scotland. SG managed that throughout his stay, you would hope Gio learns faster.