Alchemist Required: Finance and a Major Overhaul by Summer 2023

4 hours ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

backing up homer simpson GIF

You might want to try that again mate.  Matondo has played in 450 minutes of SPFL football this season whilst Kent has played in 785 - so there is far more to compare those two than Kent at 785 minues and Yilmaz at 83 minutes.

Kent - 9 SPFL games

Matondo - 5 SPFL games

Yilmaz - less than one SPFL game

But, aye, my point doesnt stand 🤣

59 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Be that as it may, chances created doesn't win you any games. We had dozen/-s of chances even when we were in the Championship, yet for one reason or another converted less than 20 % whereas the opposition scored from 50 to 75 % of their chances per game. A record that holds true to this day, and same with possession per game. (PS If you don't play enough lethal people / strikers, you won't score that many goals. A fact that our recent manager/s simply didn't acknowledge.)

Since I watch ice-hockey a lot too, I followed their habit and checked who was the player before the actual assist to the goal and dare I say it, Kent doesn't feature that often there either. I can do a quick check on that later on, but now I'm off to ... ice-hockey.

Edited by der Berliner

26 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

Nitpicking seems one of your favourite past-times.

Ridvan ... I watched some videos about him when we signed him, and saw him in his few minutes in Scotland. Always active, always willing, always positive. If a chance arises, he'll have a pop at goal. That is the spark I saw and what our team needs if it wants to progress as a team. And yes, I think he is good enough for the Scottish league and will add enough quality in that respect. All about opinions, though.

You can likewise have your opinion about Matondo, who has been thrown into the fray in a similar way as Wright, and given a few outings on the right. As I said, he will have to prove a bit still, yet, and that was my point, Kent on the other wing is a pick ahead of everyone else - no matter whether he produces or not. He hardly ever gets subbed off if he has dire games either. And that has been happening for ages. Countable impact on games?

Kent - played 19 games (1,565 mins) - 1 goal, 5 assists

Matondo - played 17 games (722 mins (SIC!) - 4 assists

Now, you tell me, how one guy is supposedly not having it when he has just joined and having to come to terms with our game and setup, achiving 1 goal and 1 assist less in half his minutes should not be compared to "Mr. Stepover" Kent in a similar role and position? IMHO, one has every right to question Matondo for the time being, and only the future will tell how it works out for him. On the other hand, in the here and now, Kent is more often than not a passenger who delivers little for long spells, given the amount of time he is on the park. All about opinions, though.

I saw videos of Sebo before he joined Rangers and he looked good...... how did that work out for him in a Rangers jersey ?

You don't need to spend a year watching a player to know whether he is a decent player or not.  We will have to agree to disagree - I fail to see a player in Matondo and we don't have a Pep to do a "Sterling" on him.  Kent is a far better player - in fact, as poor as Kent has been, he is better dribbling with BOTH feet than Matondo is with his preferred foot.

I could mention that within your Stats on minutes played are that Kent has played 780 minutes in CL whilst Matondo has played 180.... so much tougher to get goal or assists in that competition - albeit Matondo actually does have an assist whilst Kent doesnt, but Kent is also defended differently from Matondo.

All that said, we both are distracting from the original point of the thread so I will leave it at that and agree to disagree with you :) 

3 minutes ago, craig said:

I saw videos of Sebo before he joined Rangers and he looked good...... how did that work out for him in a Rangers jersey ?

You don't need to spend a year watching a player to know whether he is a decent player or not.  We will have to agree to disagree - I fail to see a player in Matondo and we don't have a Pep to do a "Sterling" on him.  Kent is a far better player - in fact, as poor as Kent has been, he is better dribbling with BOTH feet than Matondo is with his preferred foot.

I could mention that within your Stats on minutes played are that Kent has played 780 minutes in CL whilst Matondo has played 180.... so much tougher to get goal or assists in that competition - albeit Matondo actually does have an assist whilst Kent doesnt, but Kent is also defended differently from Matondo.

All that said, we both are distracting from the original point of the thread so I will leave it at that and agree to disagree with you :) 

Hey, leave Sebo out of this #hero 😀

1 hour ago, Rousseau said:

Thanks - a fine example of where ignoring the noise at least gives you a chance to hear the music ..... or some such hodge-podge metaphorical near miss.

Edited by Bill

20 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

Be that as it may, chances created doesn't win you any games. We had dozen/-s of chances even when we were in the Championship, yet for one reason or another converted less than 20 % whereas the opposition scored from 50 to 75 % of their chances per game. A record that holds true to this day, and same with possession per game. (PS If you don't play enough lethal people / strikers, you won't score that many goals. A fact that our recent manager/s simply didn't acknowledge.)

Since I watch ice-hockey a lot too, I followed their habit and checked who was the player before the actual assist to the goal and dare I say it, Kent doesn't feature that often there either. I can do a quick check on that later on, but now I'm off to ... ice-hockey.

Secondary assists are included in the graphic, and Kent seems quite high. 

I agree, though: creating lots of chances is good, but you then need to look at the quality of the chances created (xA) and conversion rate. 

21 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

Yeah because other than that Yilmaz hasn't played? Or do we only judge on SPFL games? curious internet GIF by GIPHY Arts

Bit of a whoosh moment for you I suggest.  My point is that there has been more to be able to compare Kent to Matondo than Kent to Yilmaz.  That post was about comparing Kent to Matondo, not Yilmaz to anyone (despite dB comparing the two)

Yet you somehow tried to conflate the two and your suggestion looked, to me at least, to suggest that we havent seen enough of either to be able to make judgement (which is fair enough) but my point is that we have seen a fair bit more of Matondo than Yilmaz to be able to compare them to Kent - and that is before we get into the fact Yilmaz plays a different position to Kent whilst Matondo essentially is performing the same role on the opposite side.

Anyway, again, veering off tangent in this thread so I will leave it at that.