11 minutes ago, Frankie said:

All in all our acquisitions weren't as bad as some make out but they weren't enough and existing players haven't contributed well enough.

Yes just posted in the other thread the same. Our summer business will prove to be successful by and large, i still have faith in Matondo. We just needed more midfielders. 

Liverpool needed help in midfield, the loaned Arthur from Juve. Napoli loaned Anguissa and N'Domblele to help in midfield. Ajax got Ocampos on loan to cover the departure of Antony to Man U at short notice. Chelsea loaned Zakaria from Juve as they were short in midfield. 

If loans are good enough for the elite clubs then surely there are some out of favour guys we could take on short term to help us out. 

9 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I don't think our recruitment has been that bad, if we consider the profile of the players.

yeah agree. If anything our problem has been moving players on. We could have done with moving on Kamara, Kent, Morelos, Barisic, Roofe in the summer in an ideal world but it is what it is.

14 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

yeah agree. If anything our problem has been moving players on. We could have done with moving on Kamara, Kent, Morelos, Barisic, Roofe in the summer in an ideal world but it is what it is.

Kamara and Morelos should have been sold a couple of years ago when they were at their peak - that's not to say they can't recover that level, which I think they can; I still rate them. 

I don't think Barisic should be moved on. I think he's at that weird age where you don't want to rely on him, but you don't want to get rid of the experience that can help Yilmaz. I'd keep him until Yilmaz is established, then move on. 

I would have liked to have seen Kent and Roofe moved on this summer. 

Keeping on all three of Davis, Arfield and McGregor was silly.  

I said it at the time but in hindsight, it actually looks worse because our midfield and goalkeeper really aren't good enough.

Edited by Gonzo79

Reaching the EL final pulled the wool over the club's eyes. In the face of possible failure to reach the CL group stage, I believe Wilson and GvB were convinced these players could repeat their previous achievements if supplemented by a limited number of new players. In that respect, it was an entirely justifiable plan, albeit they've probably been proved largely incorrect.

On a financial basis, having failed to gain automatic qualification for the CL and with much of the income from player sales unlikely to hit our bank account until future transfer windows, together with huge commitments to infrastructure repair, spending big on new players during this summer window could have been seen as cavalier. By the time we did actually qualify for the group stage, we were already embarked upon our plan and didn't revise it.

I'm not trying to defend what happened - just trying to understand how we got here.

I'm still scratching my head at the Yilmaz signing. Not because I think he's a bad player, but did we really need to splash out so much on a LB that doesn't even get a game? There are so many other positions we could have strengthened with that money. It's bizarre.

10 minutes ago, PoohBear said:

I'm still scratching my head at the Yilmaz signing. Not because I think he's a bad player, but did we really need to splash out so much on a LB that doesn't even get a game? There are so many other positions we could have strengthened with that money. It's bizarre.

At the time he was signed most people believe Barisic has decided to leave.