33 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

Dont think its a secret he has been after a move for some time. Remember we beat them 1-0 at Ibrox and he did a lap of honour as if it was his last game.

Maybe he does want away or maybe he was given the impression that he would have been going,with the DOF we have anything goes.

43 minutes ago, Bill said:

At the time he was signed most people believe Barisic has decided to leave.

It was quite the opposite from what I have been told.  Barisic wanted to stay but informed the club that if they wanted to go down a different route then he would offer to leave to make space - but wasnt his preference. 

37 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

Dont think its a secret he has been after a move for some time. Remember we beat them 1-0 at Ibrox and he did a lap of honour as if it was his last game.

Not from what I have heard

36 minutes ago, craig said:

It was quite the opposite from what I have been told.  Barisic wanted to stay but informed the club that if they wanted to go down a different route then he would offer to leave to make space - but wasnt his preference. 

Heard the same and posted this in the summer transfer thread (if I remember correctly). 

3 hours ago, Tannochsidebear said:

Good thread this with some great points and counter-points.

My own tuppence is that the summer recruitment and retention was a complete disaster (in hindsight). As I hadnt heard of any of the new recruits I can only judge from what I see when they play for us, and I can safely say that only Colak has impressed me enough to think of him as a first team starter, but even at that he is not an improvement on Morelos, and not of an age we can sell on, so im baffled by the purchase although enjoying his contributions.

Ben Davies (when fit) is not any better than Balogun or Katic, Matondo hasnt settled (im trying to be kind!) Soutter has played about exactly as many minutes as most predicted, Yilmaz was not required but is the right profile apart from this being his third injury in 3 months so that puts him on the Souttar scale! Lawrence started well and has been missed, but given we have only seen so few games, who knows if he will be better than what we had.

Alongside Helander, Roofe & Jack, the 3 perma-gubbed players that should all have been moved on, we could not afford to re-sign Davis & Arfield. I give the resigning of McGregor a pass as he is still by far our best goalkeeper and we could easily have forseen him lasting another year to allow us to divert funds elsewhere this season.

The injury list is about as bad as I have ever seen it. What about our world-leading sports science and injury-predicting bollocks we were all being told of over the last year or so? Has it disappeared? What about our coaching and fitness work? 

Clearly the big two players in recent years, Tav & Kent, have stunk the place out this season. Tav is either injured or has been tactically prevented from playing to his peak, or has just lost form after being so consistent for so long. Kent has never had good enough returns for his gametime for me, nowehere near the amount of goals and assists that a player costing £7M in that position should be expected to contribute. Should by now have seen big improvements in his numbers, and looks like working his ticket towards free agency.

In saying all of the above, I am not in the time to sack everyone camp. I just want improvements from all involved who seem to be about as good as we can get at our level. I think Wilson has had a stinker but is still sufficiently highly thought of to come good. Same goes for Gio. The tactical changes, planning and subs that worked so well in Europe last season has deserted us, of course this could be linked to the availability of players, but I hope he can get more answers and options than what we have seen so far this season. I dont see the point of blowing upwards of £5M to replace, as I dont see anybody available who has a better pedigree that looks to be a better fit, that wouldnt come with another £5M buyout cost. I want to see that money spent on the park, not to agents and other clubs for management and coaches.

I have been hoping we can limp our way to the WC break, get our players back and do the opposite of the last few years, ie kick on after the break after a great first half. This year a rubbish first half could (fingers crossed) see a resurgent second half of the season as we clinch the domestic treble!

Top post, common sense with a rare dash of optimism  WATP

Edited by Graeme Ro55

What’s not to be optimistic about? Only the timescale is in doubt. The key is to keep pushing together in the same direction and eventually all barriers fall. Anyway, what other club would you want to be part of?

10 hours ago, PoohBear said:

I'm still scratching my head at the Yilmaz signing. Not because I think he's a bad player, but did we really need to splash out so much on a LB that doesn't even get a game? There are so many other positions we could have strengthened with that money. It's bizarre.

I think Ridvan was bought as an potential investment. Possibly with a view to selling him on at a high price sometime in the near future as he was very highly regarded in Turkey. 

2 hours ago, craig said:

Ben Davies is better than both Balogun AND Katic.

I believe he might well be but when he's injured I'd rather see him replaced by Balogun than lose Sands from midfield.