Scottish Premiership 2022-23: Top Chance Creators

I can't believe the mockery around a wee stat simply because it doesn't align with your opinion. 

I'm the same; I think Kent is rubbish. 

Kent can create lots of chances and still be rubbish, though. 

To me, it suggests the chances he's creating are of very poor quality. 

The fact that he's been involved in 39 chances but only has 4 assists is testament to that. 

He has scored 1 from an xG of 1.5. An xG of 1.5 for a winger is truly poor, and he's still under-performing that! 

These stats also highlight a criticism I have of GvB, which I've posted before. 

Our wingers tend to stay wide, which is not a problem in itself. But we need to adjust the team to suit.

If you play with wide wingers, you need your #8s to play further forward in the half-space, and they provide the goal-threat in the box. We play with one #10, who doesn't get into the box. 

Or, you play with inside-forwards in the half-space - like Jota and Abada et al. - with FBs providing the width. 

We're in-between.

If Kent is being asked to stay wide and punt aimless crosses into the box, or lay it off for Barisic to punt aimless crosses into the box, a la horseshoe, then... Ugh.

It's no surprise that he had "better" numbers when he played as a #10 under SG. Still not great numbers, but "better". 

4 hours ago, Rousseau said:

These stats also highlight a criticism I have of GvB, which I've posted before. 

Our wingers tend to stay wide, which is not a problem in itself. But we need to adjust the team to suit.

If you play with wide wingers, you need your #8s to play further forward in the half-space, and they provide the goal-threat in the box. We play with one #10, who doesn't get into the box. 

Or, you play with inside-forwards in the half-space - like Jota and Abada et al. - with FBs providing the width. 

We're in-between.

If Kent is being asked to stay wide and punt aimless crosses into the box, or lay it off for Barisic to punt aimless crosses into the box, a la horseshoe, then... Ugh.

It's no surprise that he had "better" numbers when he played as a #10 under SG. Still not great numbers, but "better". 

The % of our aimless crosses that have no outcome must be huge, suggesting that you’re right about our attacking configuration ... or that incessantly looking for crosses with the current configuration is a complete waste of time.

Edited by Bill

I actually posted the below in the wrong thread, so here we go again ...

As for that neat stat up there ... you might want to believe your eyes first and foremost, right? Here's a list of our goals so far, with scorers, assists and those "secondary" assists. And below you can find a youtube link to the highlights of all our SPFL league and cup games to have a look again:

MD 1 Livingston

1-1 Arfield (Kent, Barisic)

1-2 Tavernier (Colak, - )

MD 2 Kilmarnock

1-0 Colak (Lawrence, Colak)

2-0 Morelos (Matondo, Davis)

CLQ USG

1-0 Tavernier pen. (Barisic, )

2-0 Colak (Arfield, Tavernier)

3-0 Tillman (Barisic, )

MD 3 St. Johnstone

1-0 Tillman (Tavernier, Wright)

2-0 Colak (Matondo, Tillman)

3-0 Arfield (Matondo, Jack)

4-0 Lawrence (Arfield, Tavernier)

CLQ PSV

1-1 Colak (Tavernier, Davis)

2-1 Lawrence (Tillman, )

MD 4 Hibernian

0-1 Tavernier pen. (Colak, - )

1-2 Lawrence (Barisic, Kent)

CLQ PSV

0-1 Colak (Tillman, )

MD 5 Ross

1-0 Lundstram (Kent, Barisic)

2-0 Colak (Wright, Lundstram)

3-0 Colak (Kent, Lawrence)

4-0 Davis (Tavernier, Wright)

SLC QotS

1-0 Ure (Kamara, Barisic)

2-1 Arfield (Ridvan, Sakala)

3-1 Arfield (McCann,Lovelace)

MD 6

forgettable

MD 7 Dundee United

1-0 Colak (Tavernier, - )

2-0 Colak (Barisic, Lundstram)

MD 8 Hearts

0-1 Colak (Kent, Colak)

0-2 Colak (Matondo, Lundstram)

0-3 Morelos (Tavernier, Morelos)

0-4 Kent (Tillman)

MD 9 St. Mirren

1-0 Colak (Barisic, Colak)

2-0 Tavernier pen. (Colak, Tavernier)

3-0 Colak (Sakala, Tavernier)

4-0 Sakala (Morelos, Tavernier)

CLGP Liverpool

1-0 Arfield (Jack, )

MD 10 Motherwell

0-1 Tillman (Tavernier, - )

0-2 Lundstram (Barisic, - )

SLC Dundee

1-0 Davis (Wright, Tillman)

MD 11 Livingston

1-1 Lundstram (Kent, Roofe)

MD 12 Aberdeen

1-1 Colak (Tillman, Lundstram)

2-1 Lundstram (Davies, Tavernier)

3-1 Tavernier (Barisic, Kent)

4-1 Morelos (Sakala, Arfield)

CLGP Ajax

1-1 Tavernier pen. (Matondo)

SPFL Highlights list

https://www.youtube.com/spfl/videos

On 05/11/2022 at 09:39, Rousseau said:

Celtic have their wingers wide but they run from very wide positions towards the centre when there is a cross about to come from the other side, and it leads to them being in loads of space every time. I think it was their second goal yesterday that was a textbook example of this. Abada has done it to us a few times too.

It’s so simple but it’s an effective tactic that has been drilled into them, compare and contrast to our wide forwards. 

On 05/11/2022 at 09:19, Rousseau said:

To me, it suggests the chances he's creating are of very poor quality

And yeh, this for me. Stats aren’t the problem, it’s just about understanding what they are based on and I’m not sure how a chance is defined here. A high quality chance stat would be far more useful, as well as making it “per 90”.

It also just doesn’t make any sense at all that Jota is not in the table. He was on the same number of assists as Kent on Friday and for me, he creates higher quality chances consistently. 

To give Kent a little bit of credit (which I’m not very good at), I think he has been a bit better at getting the ball in the box at times. His crosses for goals at Livingston and Hearts were very good, and we haven’t seen many assists like that from him in previous seasons. 

Edited by DMAA

2 hours ago, DMAA said:

Celtic have their wingers wide but they run from very wide positions towards the centre when there is a cross about to come from the other side, and it leads to them being in loads of space

Straight out of Davy Wilson’s textbook on Constructive Wing Play.