FIFA World Cup 2022

1 hour ago, compo said:

Back to the final it was the best in my old eyes since 1970 and Messi was a joy to watch even if he is getting a bit long in the tooth.

I watched both of these World Cup, so I feel qualified to express this opinion ......

The tournament in Qatar was second only to 1970 in Mexico

The final in Qatar was second only to the final in 1970 in Mexico

The best player in Qatar was second only to the best player in 1970 in Mexico

The winning team in Qatar was nowhere near as good as the winning team in 1970 in Mexico

2 hours ago, Bill said:

I watched both of these World Cup, so I feel qualified to express this opinion ......

The tournament in Qatar was second only to 1970 in Mexico

The final in Qatar was second only to the final in 1970 in Mexico

The best player in Qatar was second only to the best player in 1970 in Mexico

The winning team in Qatar was nowhere near as good as the winning team in 1970 in Mexico

Of course the 1970  tournament was excellent but you have to remember how many weak inexperienced nations there was back then and a lot were in Mexico but that was the way the tournament was then 16 teams with half not really capable of causing any upsets now days teams are well coached and much more capable that’s why our own team as well as others struggle to break down what we used to call wee diddy teams 

The competition on and off the parks were first class 

The final was a feast of two opposites in style and tactics 

Tha best player in Qatar really is second to no one 

And I think the winners played tougher opponents than the 1970 winners 

Plus I had a substantial bet on the Argies from away before the tournament started 😉

5 hours ago, craig said:

Mate, you lot call it "football" in a sport where they hardly ever use their feet to make contact with said ball.

Well, if truth be told the original American football did not permit a forward pass...but you could boot it up the park...akin to rugby football, which American football is derived from.

So originally there was quite bit more foot required.

'Soccer' is just slang for the word 'asSOCiation football' so as not to confuse it with the much more light, and sensitive British version. 

hahaha! 

I had to. 

3 hours ago, compo said:

Of course the 1970  tournament was excellent but you have to remember how many weak inexperienced nations there was back then and a lot were in Mexico but that was the way the tournament was then 16 teams with half not really capable of causing any upsets now days teams are well coached and much more capable that’s why our own team as well as others struggle to break down what we used to call wee diddy teams 

The competition on and off the parks were first class 

The final was a feast of two opposites in style and tactics 

Tha best player in Qatar really is second to no one 

And I think the winners played tougher opponents than the 1970 winners 

Plus I had a substantial bet on the Argies from away before the tournament started 😉

So what you're saying is that in a few years the 2022 tournament, while excellent, will be remembered as having too many "weak" diddy teams and therefore not up to scratch?

No, even though it was more than half a century ago, the 1970 tournament was the definitive World Cup against which all other are compared and fall short.

3 hours ago, Malangsob said:

Well, if truth be told the original American football did not permit a forward pass...but you could boot it up the park...akin to rugby football, which American football is derived from.

'Soccer' is just slang for the word 'asSOCiation football' so as not to confuse it with the much more light, and sensitive British version. 

I always thought American Football was slang for pretentious loitering without much intent 😁 

8 hours ago, Bill said:

So what you're saying is that in a few years the 2022 tournament, while excellent, will be remembered as having too many "weak" diddy teams and therefore not up to scratch?

No, even though it was more than half a century ago, the 1970 tournament was the definitive World Cup against which all other are compared and fall short.

No the teams at Qatar were excellent it was 1970 were 50%were diddy teams 

Not really comparing apples with apples.

In 1970 the world Cup was one of 2 or 3 televised football events, with 'exotic' players that were relatively unknown. Pele himself was a bit of an unknown, how often did we get to see him play? Every 4 years? (Genuine question, not a criticism, I was born in 75!).

Fast forward to the absolute overdose of world football that we have now, it doesn't really have that 'special' feeling that it did in the good old days, we get to see Messi et al on a weekly basis.

I've always thought it a bit bizarre that Messi was  judged against Pele, Maradona etc negatively, as he hadn't won a world Cup, As if thats an individual acheivement. Indeed, even the great Pele never really tested himself domestically outside of his own country.

It was an awesome world Cup in Qatar, whether it was as good as another one half a century ago is pretty much irrelevant.

23 hours ago, Malangsob said:

hahaha! 

I had to. 

That as may be, using feet to connect with the ball plays a significantly lesser role than using the hands....