28 minutes ago, Bill said:

I don’t understand what that means but I’d be surprised if no link can be established. I need to look into it. 

Sorry thought it made sense at the time. 😊 

Science may attempt to prove a link but that's all it will be, an attempt, but get that it's important to try and establish.

29 minutes ago, onevision said:

Sorry thought it made sense at the time. 😊 

Science may attempt to prove a link but that's all it will be, an attempt, but get that it's important to try and establish.

It seems it’s very early days but sufficient correlation has already been established to justify further, more detailed research. In the end though, it’s likely decisions will be taken on the balance of evidence and health will always trump sport. Science will have no problem establishing a link, if one exists. The issue will be proving causality between heading and dementia, although that may not be necessary for certain decisions to be taken. 

1 hour ago, MacK1950 said:

Suppose the link to heading is a tenuous one and as there is no doubt many ex players from the hard ball era still going about without dementia.

Therefore much more research has to be done.

From what I've read, it seems the first of that serious research is ongoing now, with more to follow. Time will tell what they find. It would be best if they found no attributable link but in all honesty, while it may be a long time coming, I think we all know where this is 'heading'.

On 29/11/2022 at 09:40, alexscottislegend said:

Could understand it more if the balls were as heavy as the old bladders in our day; they had thick laces as well and were heavy enough just kicking never mind heading.

We've done this before, but once again, it's about force, which is a result of mass x acceleration.

Yes, the old ball was heavier, but because of this, the velocity of the ball was much less (look at old pathe reels, wee looping crosses).

Because its a lighter ball, then it can be fired in at a much higher speed, resulting in an equally high force.

And factor in the players are physically far more advanced than ye olden days, and you'll realise the force is higher.

I

24 minutes ago, Devil's advocaat said:

We've done this before, but once again, it's about force, which is a result of mass x acceleration.

Yes, the old ball was heavier, but because of this, the velocity of the ball was much less (look at old pathe reels, wee looping crosses).

Because its a lighter ball, then it can be fired in at a much higher speed, resulting in an equally high force.

And factor in the players are physically far more advanced than ye olden days, and you'll realise the force is higher.

.... except where the ball is essentially falling to earth under gravitational acceleration, when heavy and light balls will achieve the same velocity (if falling from the same height) and the force exerted on the head by the lighter ball will always be less than for a heavier ball. I think.