The Winter 2022/23 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

3 hours ago, Frankie said:

I think we need to prioritise a central midfield player.

Kamara, Lundstram, Jack and Davis all have played their part over the years but, for various reasons, aren't as reliable as they should be. I'm happy enough with one of them in the side but I'd like to see them partnered with a player who can help out defensively but get forward to good effect too.

Whether or not we can get such a player in January remains to be seen but we do need one.

I am not sure why Lundstram can't be that guy under new management.  That was exactly how he played in the European run.

2 hours ago, Tannochsidebear said:

A goalscoring midfielder/wide forward/winger. Must provide plenty of goals/assists. The one position we do not have anybody for. None of our current squad provide enough goals/assists for what we need, meaning we are far too reliant on one striker (given we only play one at a time) to score the goals.

I am hoping this will change with Beale having us play more narrow, meaning the "wide" players are more central with more opportunity for attempts at goal.

8 minutes ago, craig said:

I am hoping this will change with Beale having us play more narrow, meaning the "wide" players are more central with more opportunity for attempts at goal.

Yep, that seems to be what he is trying to do in order to get Kent more involved.   Early days but there are signs it is starting to work

3 hours ago, Rousseau said:

More than a shot-stopper, surely?

yes but how much more. 

enough to be a priority, not for me. 

if going for a keeper i would prioritise one who is good on set pieces, corners, crosses etc. 

thats all the attacking that happens in scotland certainly. 

Mcgregor isn't a sweeper keeper but he is bloody superb one on one. 

Just now, Sutton_blows_goats said:

I think last night should put to bed any potential move for James Sands. Not good enough as a CB. Apparently he is a midfielder but for me he is a midfielder who isn't physical, wont play many through balls and cant score goals. If everyone is fit(haha) cant see him featuring at all. 

This is where the guy puzzles me as sometimes he comes across as really physical (he was excellent in midfield v Aberdeen in late October) and other times he seems to really struggle (Nisbet dominated him last week).

As said in the other thread, I think he needs a run of games in his preferred role before we can really judge him but, generally, I'm unconvinced at the agreed fee. For £2m then he'd probably be a useful signing but not at the best part of £5m.