The Winter 2022/23 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Standard Liege make decision over second Rangers Nicolas Raskin bid

By Christopher Jack@Chris_Jack89Senior Rangers Writer

Nicolas Raskin

STANDARD LIEGE have rejected a second bid from Rangers for midfielder Nicolas Raskin.

Boss Michael Beale has identified Raskin as one of his key targets for the final days of the January transfer window following the capture of Todd Cantwell on a long-term deal earlier this week.

Rangers have been admirers of Raskin for some time and made their move in recent days after tabling an offer to the Liege hierarchy.

Sources in Belgium valued that bid at around €500,000 as Rangers were told they would need to significantly raise their offer if a deal was to be done this month.

And the Ibrox board will now need to come back to the table for a third time if they are to land their man in the coming days after their follow up approach was also booted out.

Beale confirmed on Friday afternoon that no pre-contract agreement had been signed to bring Raskin to Ibrox in the summer as Ross Wilson, the sporting director, focused on getting a switch over the line by the close of business on Tue

Beale said: “It is not true that we have signed a pre-contract with anybody. So I can dispel that right now.

“He is obviously a player we like, there are negotiations going on between the clubs. They are not the only ones we are speaking to.”

The negotiations are still at an impasse, however, after Standard rebuffed a second approach from Rangers on Friday evening.

The Belgian outfit - who are managed by former Celtic boss Ronny Deila - are standing firm as they attempt to get as high a fee as possible for a player that will walk away for free at the end of the campaign.

Beale has been open about his eagerness to add to his squad this month but, speaking ahead of the Premiership fixture with St Johnstone, he insisted that Rangers would only do deals at the right price.

Beale said: “There are a lot of players. The summer window is a much better window for us as a football club, for every football club I think.

“The winter window, if you are in the market for players it seems like everyone knows you are. So it makes people be a little bit stubborn. Without talking about those two players, because there are three or four more we are speaking to, it is like if the deal is right now it is going to get done.

“If the deal is not right now we will move to the summer. In the summer, with the contract situation, it does open up space in the squad. I named a lot of players there in the final third without naming the midfielders like Lundstram, Kamara and Jack. Where are all these players playing? It is a big squad.

“I want the squad to be tight not too big that it becomes difficult to manage. I like to have everyone knowing that they are fighting for their way in and being keen.”

The thread has touched on financial challenges. Elsewhere, some have mentioned that the league is already gone.

Whilst in an ideal world, we just pay the extra money and get the players in now (along with salaries) so the manager can settle them into team/squad asp.... surely given the  world is far from ideal, the option of a Bosman, leaving more money to play with during the summer should be seriously considered.

13 minutes ago, buster. said:

surely given the  world is far from ideal, the option of a Bosman, leaving more money to play with during the summer should be seriously considered.

No guarantee he signs a Bosman with us though. If he is willing to sign now and we pay a fee perhaps the player is willing only under those circumstances.

Regardless there will be other players if this one doesn’t work out.

1 minute ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

No guarantee he signs a Bosman with us though. If he is willing to sign now and we pay a fee perhaps the player is willing only under those circumstances.

Regardless there will be other players if this one doesn’t work out.

If that is the case then yes, we look for a deal now. 

Perhaps the manager shouldn't have talked so much about him, number of expected players in. It can't help a convincing negotiating position.

34 minutes ago, buster. said:

If that is the case then yes, we look for a deal now. 

Perhaps the manager shouldn't have talked so much about him, number of expected players in. It can't help a convincing negotiating position.

Perhaps, but perhaps he is setting out his expectations in public in order to drawn a line in the sand for the club to deliver for him. The results and upturn in some player’s performances have been excellent since he arrived. He deserves to be backed. If it’s not possible for the club to back him as he stated publicly then I’m sure he would have known before speaking out.

50 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

Perhaps, but perhaps he is setting out his expectations in public in order to drawn a line in the sand for the club to deliver for him. The results and upturn in some player’s performances have been excellent since he arrived. He deserves to be backed. If it’s not possible for the club to back him as he stated publicly then I’m sure he would have known before speaking out.

Your first suggestion, trying to put pressure on club to deliver ..... provoking that type of relationship won't end well.

There is no deserve about it, he must be backed and I am sure the plan is to do just that, but within our financial budget. If you can better preserve that budget now by limiting January expenditure and end up with the same player going into next season, surely it should be considered.

Would Whittaker come into that bracket?

34 minutes ago, buster. said:

Your first suggestion, trying to put pressure on club to deliver ..... provoking that type of relationship won't end well.

There is no deserve about it, he must be backed and I am sure the plan is to do just that, but within our financial budget. If you can better preserve that budget now by limiting January expenditure and end up with the same player going into next season, surely it should be considered.

Would Whittaker come into that bracket?

The budget is huge now.

Big money renewals for Kent and Morelos. Big money transfer fee for Raskin.

After the budget has been used we can speculate to accumulate.

17 minutes ago, ranger_syntax said:

The budget is huge now.

Big money renewals for Kent and Morelos. Big money transfer fee for Raskin.

After the budget has been used we can speculate to accumulate.

For a good while we operated like that, the result of which is continual loss making. Since 2015, we have continued to do so, but within a strategic plan of constructive losses. Now it has to stop.

The habit / expectation is difficult for the support to shake.

A kind of cold turkey follows on from the piggybank replacing warchest.

Edited by buster.

January transfer window is always like this. Beale seemed content at the pre-match press conference and said the two players everyone is talking about, aren't the only 2 players we are in for. 

FWIW I think we'll get at least another player in before the window closes. No solid information, just a gut feeling.

If we don't, whilst I'll be disappointed it's not the end of the world. Given our finances the signings need to be the right ones, not just signing players for the sake of signing them. 

I also feel Alfie and / or Kent's situation will go the way of Goldson. Run their current deal down and as not to break the pay structure, given a "signing on" fee. 

27 minutes ago, CammyF said:

January transfer window is always like this. Beale seemed content at the pre-match press conference and said the two players everyone is talking about, aren't the only 2 players we are in for. 

FWIW I think we'll get at least another player in before the window closes. No solid information, just a gut feeling.

If we don't, whilst I'll be disappointed it's not the end of the world. Given our finances the signings need to be the right ones, not just signing players for the sake of signing them. 

I also feel Alfie and / or Kent's situation will go the way of Goldson. Run their current deal down and as not to break the pay structure, given a "signing on" fee. 

And, of course, the signing from So'ton, as @Bill said.