The Winter 2022/23 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

1 hour ago, craig said:

The outlay to try and win a cup or two is greater than the income those cups would provide.

Cup wins brings other positives, like strip sales, players might be more likely to want to come, general feelgood factor etc.  

1 hour ago, Gonzo79 said:

Cup wins brings other positives, like strip sales, players might be more likely to want to come, general feelgood factor etc.  

I dont doubt the "other positives" but we need to be ran in a financially prudent manner.  Depending on the fee and sell-on then sure - at the rumoured 2 mill Euros plus 20% sell-on, nah.  Now, that said, if the player wasnt willing to sign a pre-contract and this was the only way of getting him then fine. 

3 hours ago, craig said:

The negative is 2 mill Euros plus 20% sell on fee (allegedly)

“Allegedly” doing some heavy lifting there. We don’t know the details and circumstances of the deal. For a start, it assumes a man who was frozen out of his team for months was willing to wait till the summer. I would bet he that a move in January was non-negotiable for him. There would have been plenty interest from other clubs. Empire on FF also said they wanted double what we eventually agreed for him. I’m just glad to have a very good player in the door.

Edit: Just seen the last line of your last post!

Edited by DMAA

3 hours ago, craig said:

The negative is 2 mill Euros plus 20% sell on fee (allegedly) for a guy we could have for nothing in the summer.  That money could be better spent elsewhere given the league is almost certainly over (anyone thinking that we beat Celtic twice and then they drop a further 4 points more than us in the remainder of the season is, IMHO, deluded).

And a 20% sell on fee for a 21 yr old who we could have for free in the summer also doesnt really appeal.

I understand why people want him in.  I understand why people are prepared to pay the money being suggested.  Doesnt mean it makes good business sense - and it doesnt make good business sense unless he wasnt going to sign a pre-contract, which it seems he was going to do anyway.

It’s a bonkers bit of business 

2 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

The premise that if we bring in this youngster from Belgium we will win the Cup Final and vice versa is complete lala land of footballing logic.

1 hour ago, buster. said:

The premise that if we bring in this youngster from Belgium we will win the Cup Final and vice versa is complete lala land of footballing logic.

Okay, if you say so.  Should just stick with the current underperformers and limp to the end of the season then.

Dc Comics Whatever GIF by HBO Max