The Winter 2022/23 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

9 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Because it's interesting to identify the basic shape, in and out of possession. 

When it's so fluid, though, it's difficult. 

I've watched a few of the TIFO WCup podcasts with the Scottish guy (JJ?) explaining how he saw teams setup and why or why it didn't work against opposition X.

I found that quite interesting.

58 minutes ago, buster. said:

I've watched a few of the TIFO WCup podcasts with the Scottish guy (JJ?) explaining how he saw teams setup and why or why it didn't work against opposition X.

I found that quite interesting.

One of JJ's frequent sayings is that formations are largely meaningless. 

11 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

One of JJ's frequent sayings is that formations are largely meaningless. 

They seem to be an important framework within a plan, even if that plan has an element of fluidity.

What can render them meaningless or ineffective are players who don't adhere to instructions or/& are not suited to position/good enough or/& an opposition with a better plan/players etc.

Not sure how they acquire their news, but according to TM, Helander, Ridvan, and Souttar should be back before x-mas, Goldson by the end of January, and Jack in mid-January (that would be new). Hagi and Lawrence are given as "return unknown", while Roofe and Davies are fit.

BTW, Beale knows night all of these players inside out ...

EDIT:

Michael Beale says ‘if everything goes to plan we should have four options (for centre-half) for Thursday. Davies and Goldson will be training in next 48 hours.’

And to steal Rousseau's show:

Edited by der Berliner

25 minutes ago, buster. said:

They seem to be an important framework within a plan, even if that plan has an element of fluidity.

What can render them meaningless or ineffective are players who don't adhere to instructions or/& are not suited to position/good enough or/& an opposition with a better plan/players etc.

Teams now generally adopt different shapes in different states of the game. 

Man City and Arsenal, for example, line up in a 4-3-3 on paper, but in possession their RBs play as a third CB and their LBs invert to create a double pivot, so it's more like a 3-2-5. Then when they defend, Man City adopt a 4-4-2. 

We've seen this flexibility in the WC with France, Brazil and Argentina etc. adopting different shapes in different states of the game. I really couldn't tell you what formation Argentina play!

Moreover, it doesn't describe how a team will play. Man City and Liverpool both adopt a 4-3-3 on paper, but the way they play morphs into wildly different shapes.  

That's why 'on paper' formations are largely meaningless. However, you can certainly use formations to describe the shape in possession and out of possession, for example.