Gersnet World Cup 2022 Prediction League - Semi-finals

Bit strange this ... first goal, the goalie stands his grounds and the striker charges straight into him, ball already gone. Penalty! Like the Croat could dissolve into thin air or something?

Second goal, their striker races through various Croats before flicking the ball past the goalie and crushes then into him, no penalty, goal. Like the Croat could dissolve into thin air or something? From a striker's point of view, what a run! But heck, Fortune smiled broadly on him as the Croat defenders hat three touches on the ball and somehow it always got back to him. How lucky can you be.

Correct score does nicely though.

Fewer points than I expected. 

Gonzo, Rousseau, Yorkie, dB, compo, Onevision, Dado, BEARGER and Devil got the Correct Result. 

dB got the Correct Score.

Gonzo gets an extra point for applying his JOKER. 

Latest Standings:

Argentina's tactical set-up is remarkable. 

Ostensibly, it's a 4-4-2 in defence, but they have what are two central midfielders (Mac Allister and De Paul) playing in the wide midfield spots. 

However, building on my 'formations are largely meaningless in the modern game' rank from yesterday, in possession it morphs into more of a 3-5-2, with one central midfielder (Fernandez) dropping in-between the CBs, and those wide midfielders move inside to create a three. 

Then it morphs again into a 3-2-5, with Mac Allister moving up into the left half-space. 

The tactical flexibility is astounding. 

The Argentina manager, Lionel Scaloni (he played for Deportivo during their glory years), has no managerial experience. It's only when I dug a little deeper that I learned that he had been an assistant to one of my favourite managers, Jorge Sampaoli. 

It just goes to show that you don't necessarily need experience, just a solid playing philosophy and the tools to implement it. Of course, it helps when you've got a plethora of top-class players - although, I wouldn't say they are a better group than Brazil, for example; A 'keeper from Aston Villa vs one from Liverpool; a CB from Benfica vs ones from PSG and Chelsea; a midfielder from Brighton vs one from Real Madrid! 

7 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Ostensibly, it's a 4-4-2 in defence, but they have what are two central midfielders (Mac Allister and De Paul) playing in the wide midfield spots. 

However, building on my 'formations are largely meaningless in the modern game' rank from yesterday, in possession it morphs into more of a 3-5-2, with one central midfielder (Fernandez) dropping in-between the CBs, and those wide midfielders move inside to create a three. 

Then it morphs again into a 3-2-5, with Mac Allister moving up into the left half-space. 

The Argentina manager, Lionel Scaloni (he played for Deportivo during their glory years), has no managerial experience. It's only when I dug a little deeper that I learned that he had been an assistant to one of my favourite managers, Jorge Sampaoli. 

It just goes to show that you don't necessarily need experience, just a solid playing philosophy and the tools to implement it. Of course, it helps when you've got a plethora of top-class players - although, I wouldn't say they are a better group than Brazil, for example; A 'keeper from Aston Villa vs one from Liverpool; a CB from Benfica vs ones from PSG and Chelsea; a midfielder from Brighton vs one from Real Madrid! 

Professional 

23 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I think the lad Alvarez has been hugely important to their progress.

Messi is beyond brilliant but he needed an effective foil who can take a chance.

Without the young lad, I don't think they would have went so far.

Still haven't played a top side yet.

Will it work against France*?

Every time I see McAllister, I think of Ryan Stevenson. It is doing my nut in 🤪