[FT] Rangers 3 (Morelos 13'; Goldson 39'; Tillman 63') - 0 Motherwell

2 hours ago, Devil's advocaat said:

Christ, it's like last of the summer wine in here 🤣

I actually like flares and general misbehaviour at the football but that bloody drum only goes with ultra chants, whilst ruining the more traditional songs.  

Things like Every Other Saturday, Follow Follow and the Ulster tunes naturally change time throughout, so the metronomic nature of it doesn't work.  

Could be worse. Could be vuvuzuelas.

In the early seventies the Dutch and I think, the Germans too brought some dire instrument to matches. Sounded like a cross between a horn and a siren.  “Adds nothing to the game” said Archie in a classic understatement. 

Just go to the game and cheer your team on like honest Scotsmen. None of your continental (sorry, dB) chanting, rhythmic clapping, drumming, horn-blowing nonsense. And no bagpipes either. A wee flute’s ok though.

I really believe the reason for the lack of atmosphere is directly related to the fact that our stadium has been almost entirely season tickets only for the best part of 30-35 years now, and also to the stadium changing to all-seater. My earliest years (mid-late 80's) of going to Ibrox the atmosphere was generated because you stood with your mates, in groups straight off buses so you knew everyone around you and the atmosphere was just a continuation of the singing etc on the bus to the game. Nowadays most groups of guys are all over the stadium in separate ones and twos.

The advent of all-seater stadiums, taken together with all season-tickets, and it has to be said, the more family-friendly stadium it is now with many more women and children going to games takes away from the general average game atmosphere. You could also add the cost of the football now means it is no longer the working mans game, so the demographic of those going has also changed over time, bringing with it more spectators than fans. 

As it is I dont hark back to the days (not even sure they existed) where every game had a good atmosphere no matter the football on show. The special atmosphere that is still created at Ibrox for big games or for magical performances is nothing to do with banging a drum and waving flags. It is when the full crowd rise to appreciate a special effort or occasion. That will do for me. If the team are playing well and entertaining the fans, the fans will always react and the atmosphere improves. On big games, the fans try to give the players a head start by generating the atmosphere in advance of kick off, but that will only be sustained if the team players their part on the field. No amount of drums, flags and silly songs from the UB will change that.

1 hour ago, Tannochsidebear said:

As it is I dont hark back to the days (not even sure they existed) where every game had a good atmosphere no matter the football on show

They didn’t. See above.

What you say is 100% right. Not just ‘busses but lots of blokes from the same street.