Hall of Fame

28 minutes ago, Bill said:

Exactly so.

If we don't know the qualifying criteria, do we know who makes the decisions?

No idea - I'm assuming a small committee of former players and other relevant people is formed but don't know how pplayers are nominated thereafter.

13 minutes ago, Frankie said:

No idea - I'm assuming a small committee of former players and other relevant people is formed but don't know how pplayers are nominated thereafter.

It sends an all too familiar message to the average supporter.

Perhaps the measure should be what players were either respected, even grudgingly, or absolutely dreaded by the followers of other clubs.

On reflection, the respect standard wouldn’t work in Scotland any more.

There could be a HoF with two levels, all round excellence being the upper level and fans’ favourites the lower. In my time for the upper level Young, Waddell, Caldow, Baxter, Greig, Henderson, Gough, Cooper, Laudrup, Gascoigne, Goram, McCoist. For the lower level Shearer, John Brown and any amount of others - where do you stop?

• 3 weeks later...

Reading @JohnMc’s excellent Wenger Stat topic and particularly the reference to Jimmy Gordon reminded me of what an old guy told me about what old guys told him about players.

Rangers had “two Irish backs, you can’t get past” Bert Manderson and Billy McCandless. Manderson is in the HoF but McCandless is not. Manderson played 1915-1927, seven league titles. McCandless played 1920-1930, six league titles. Manderson deserves his place. McCandless should be alongside him, not just to resume a successful partnership but entirely on his own merits. His record is superior to many, specially some of the recent inductees.

@compo probably watched McCandless’ last few games.