[FT] Rangers 1 (Morelos 64) - 2 Celtic

5 minutes ago, ranger_syntax said:

You're implying that the only alternative to additional investment is hoping for the best.

That is not the case and it should be obvious.

We can make better use of existing resources.  This should be a pre-requisite to investment.  Additional money without improvement would be like pouring petrol onto a bonfire.

No I'm not implying that, I'm saying that assuming Celtic will perform worse as part of the future strategy is not wise. You have to assume they are going to keep going as they are and plan properly to account for that.

Edited by PoohBear

Just now, CammyF said:

Numerically it is, 1 league and 1 Scottish Cup is a very poor return. Its failure, no matter how you paint it. 

As I have said repeatedly the cups are an irrelevance.

Winning the league is what matters.  Winning a couple of years ago was a success but we have not built on that.  It has been followed by domestic failure.

Why don't you tell me what 'cracks' you were talking about earlier on?  That was the interesting part.

19 minutes ago, PoohBear said:

Is it not better to assume they keep making good decisions and plan accordingly, rather than just hoping for the best?

4 minutes ago, PoohBear said:

No I'm not implying that, I'm saying that assuming Celtic will perform worse as part of the future strategy is not wise. You have to assume they are going to keep going as they are and plan properly to account for that.

Titter.

Neither you did.

7 minutes ago, CammyF said:

Let's be honest here, they make far more correct decisions than we do - be it managerial or player trading. That's some of the reason they are so far ahead of us. 

Notice that I never said anything that conflicts with any of these points.

The point that I actually did make was that it's not investment that we need.

12 minutes ago, ranger_syntax said:

As I have said repeatedly the cups are an irrelevance.

Winning the league is what matters.  Winning a couple of years ago was a success but we have not built on that.  It has been followed by domestic failure.

Why don't you tell me what 'cracks' you were talking about earlier on?  That was the interesting part.

That domestically, apart from winning 55, its been an absolute disaster and failure after failure.

Even during 55 title season, we had an open goal to win a treble but were knocked out of the cups by St Mirren and St Johnstone. 

If we are only concentrating on the league, we have a tenancy (or is it a trend) to implode after the winter break. 

Last season, even playing terrible we had a lead in the league that should have seen us crowned Champions, we throw it away (again). During that league campaign, Gio played Alfie until he broke down. He must have been only person who didn't see Alfies injury coming. Cost us the EL IMO.

Edited by CammyF

6 minutes ago, ranger_syntax said:

Notice that I never said anything that conflicts with any of these points.

The point that I actually did make was that it's not investment that we need.

So how do we fund new signings if its not via investment? How do we make the academy a production line for first team and selling at a profit without investment? 

How do we ensure we get the "first in class" working in our football department if it isn't via investment? 

1 minute ago, CammyF said:

That domestically, apart from winning 55, its been an absolute disaster and failure after failure.

Even during 55 title season, we had an open goal to win a treble but were knocked out of the cups by St Mirren and St Johnstone. 

Ok, well that is not a case of papering over the cracks. The team went undefeated in the league.  Papering over the cracks would be scraping through to win the cups while struggling consistently in the league.

1 minute ago, CammyF said:

If we are only concentrating on the league, we have a tenancy (or is it a trend) to implode after the winter break. 

I think that you mean 'tendency'.

2 minutes ago, CammyF said:

So how do we fund new signings if its not via investment? How do we make the academy a production line for first team and selling at a profit without investment? 

How do we ensure we get the "first in class" working in our football department if it isn't via investment? 

In terms of funding the board has outlined how it intends to generate revenue.  Among other things it includes European football and player trading.  Last time I checked Rangers had comparable revenue to Celtic.  I expect our revenue to be lower but not so much that we can't compete with them on the pitch.

In terms of managing without investment I think I've already said that it's a case of getting more out of existing resources.  Given that there are no shortage of mistakes that we can point to it shouldn't be difficult to imagine how that would happen.