Septimana Horribilis - A Week of Failure

1 hour ago, Bill said:

I can't help thinking it's been a hell of a journey back from near-oblivion, only to realise on looking around me that this isn't our stop at all and our destination is still nowhere in sight. Worse still, I don't even know if this bus actually goes there.

Exactly.

5 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

I'm sure he'd happily accept £100m transfer kitty, if it were available. 

Are our board lying to prospective managers about available funds?

Dont think anyone lied. I think if anything he came back expecting to pick up where he left off after 55 (which he keeps referring to). needing minimal funds to progress.

Maybe now he has realised what many of us have known for a while - there is a rot in this squad and it needs cut out.

6 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

Maybe now he has realised what many of us have known for a while - there is a rot in this squad and it needs cut out.

As much as I don't want to believe it, this is a conclusions that's becoming harder to deny. It's very difficult for any of us to know where the problem lies and guessing about individual identities is always a dangerous game .... but any manager worth his salt should certainly know, especially one who has been here before. But that shouldn't necessarily stop us exploring the question.

2 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

Beale's recent comments suggest we won't see a huge turnaround this Summer.

I don't know, I think (hope)Beale is being smart in saying it won't be a huge rebuild in the summer and keeping his cards close to his chest for a number of reasons, admintting the squad needs to be completely rebuilt has no positives that I can see....

Firstly, the current squad, they're failing and underperforming enough as it is, it won't help to basically admit he has already made up his mind on the players that he doesn't trust and wants rid of as they could effectively chuck him under the bus and get fans more on his back.

Secondly, any prospective players clubs knowing we want to do a large rebuild could put us in a worse barganing position for any transfers as we'll be desperate to get players in and quick so we can maximise squad cohesion time.

That also works the other way, clubs knowing we're desperate to offload players quickly, again, puts us at a disadvantage when negotiating transfer fees/payoffs.

What the f**k is this? Getting his excuses in early? It looks like the entire Beale facade is going to disappear in a single week.

Edited by Bill

40 minutes ago, Bill said:

What the f**k is this? Getting his excuses in early? It looks like the entire Beale facade is going to disappear in a single week.

Well then he is stupid because everyone knew the state of play when he came in, him more than most. 

I think he can turn it round. 

24 minutes ago, PoohBear said:

It's the truth though, they will outspend us.

The truth is irrelevant. Saying it out loud is not, it's inexcusable. Good leaders simply don't do this.

It's like Churchill informing Britain he had a complex job because he was going to have to fight a war with a smaller, weaker army than Germany.

1 hour ago, Bill said:

I won’t be surprised if the manager is off hire before the season’s end