Gersnet Main Site

Thanks for that informative post, Frankie and for your hard work on the site.  I'll be honest though, I had hoped you were going to ask Bill for a square go.

I'd imagine a video of the square go would increase the site traffic considerably.  

33 minutes ago, Frankie said:

However, 90% of stuff is done by me and at my own personal cost. We have adverts to help but that only allows us to run on a largely even keel cost wise. We took in £5 from February's ad traffic - ad spend is decreasing substantially right across the industry so it may be I just remove them completely. 

Maybe something like Patreon would be better than ads.

Presumably a lot of potential patrons on there.

11 minutes ago, ranger_syntax said:

Maybe something like Patreon would be better than ads.

Presumably a lot of potential patrons on there.

Yeah, that's certainly possible but I don't want to charge anyone and I know my pod contributors feel the same.

Like I say, the costs are largely met so that's fine. Not in it to make money but do want to make the platform a useful one.

26 minutes ago, Frankie said:

Yeah, that's certainly possible but I don't want to charge anyone and I know my pod contributors feel the same.

Like I say, the costs are largely met so that's fine. Not in it to make money but do want to make the platform a useful one.

Yes, I get that. I wouldn't recommend charging for access to either the site or the pod. But it sounds like a handful of small donors would allow you to drop ads altogether.

• 2 weeks later...

A wee bit late to this party, but, Frankie,  thankyou for giving us the platform and putting the effort into it, that you do.

I don't post as much,  I get really busy with work, but as you know happily keep the upgrades etc taking care of.

In an ideal world, I would find a technical solution to your data issues, but work has to come first for us all. 

On 20/04/2023 at 14:11, Frankie said:

To be clear, what sort of money would be required to make a significant difference?

1 minute ago, Bill said:

To be clear, what sort of money would be required to make a significant difference?

Not sure what you mean.

If you want a stream of regular articles then it may be nowadays that writers expect to be paid. I doubt that would be much for amateur hobbyists like myself - say £20 beer money for a 1000-1500 commentary like I posted the other day -  but that would soon mount up if you wanted even one a week: £80 p/month, best part of a grand for a year.

However, I don't really want to pay anyone, don't want paid myself and don't want to ask anyone to contribute financially.  We break even so that's a win.

2 minutes ago, Frankie said:

Not sure what you mean.

If you want a stream of regular articles then it may be nowadays that writers expect to be paid. I doubt that would be much for amateur hobbyists like myself - say £20 beer money for a 1000-1500 commentary like I posted the other day -  but that would soon mount up if you wanted even one a week: £80 p/month, best part of a grand for a year.

However, I don't really want to pay anyone, don't want paid myself and don't want to ask anyone to contribute financially.  We break even so that's a win.

No, that's not what I meant and it wouldn't be sustainable anyway. I was thinking about how much it might cost to rid the site of adverts and still cover current operating costs.

How many active members are there - visitors and participants?