Should Gersnet feature on BBC Scotland?

Should Gersnet feature on BBC Scotland?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Should Gersnet feature on BBC Scotland?

49 minutes ago, Frankie said:

This isn't occupied France but an open democracy.

I was merely interested in the reaction to the question and it's interesting to see a 2/1 vote in favour which I didn't really expect. Nevertheless, as it stands, I don't think I'm going to proceed for now. Despite the valid points in favour - not least trying to obtain access to the PQ echo chamber - I'm still uncomfortable.

The club have permitted BBC Scotland access again but this relationship remains uneasy and at an early stage. As such, I think I'm going to leave this for the moment and observe their coverage for the rest of the season before possibly revisiting later in the summer.

You can stand down.

Good judgement prevails.

1 hour ago, Scott7 said:

They won’t ask again. They’ll get some feeble flower or a pop-eyed halfwit instead. 

Much as I favour Gonzo’s approach (see above) delivered by himself or Bill,  if Frankie isn’t doing it, I’d pressgang Uilleam. He’d fillet them in five minutes. The rest of of the programme would be solemn music or maybe Jimmy Shand.

Kenny is aware of my/our discomfort but the invitation remains an open one.

11 hours ago, Uilleam said:

Why don't you invite him onto the Gersnet podcast?

As a quid pro quo -thereafter- you could agree to take part in a Sportsound episode.

That's not a bad idea actually. :)

I voted yes, but was definitely conflicted.  Their treatment of us has been abhorrent, and they are only, IMHO, looking to tick a box.  However, if we as a fanbase, continue to just refuse them then we alienate ourselves and have absolutely NO voice.  Better to have a voice and then make them look foolish (think Chris Graham when he decimated Spiers on national TV for telling lies about Rangers) than to have no voice at all and, worse, considered pariahs because we refused.

Behind enemy lines it was for me - but not a particularly pleasing vote to have to take :D

I'm pleased to see the decision Frankie has taken.

Collaborating with the B.B.C. would be a mistake. In my opinion the purpose of fan media is to provide an alternative to, and drive fans away from, the mainstream.  If fan media is successful then Rangers fans shouldn't need to listen to the rubbish on the radio.  Participating in a B.B.C. radio broadcast would be a tacit admission that the B.B.C. is not an adversary.  It would send a message to all that fan media is not different from the mainstream but part of it.  Quite a few of the people posting in this thread appear to understand this point very well.

I can also see that some want to hear a Rangers fan on the radio arguing on our behalf.  This is a mistake.  The B.B.C. is not impartial and it is not hosting a marketplace of ideas.  It will pick winners.  It will reward friends and punish enemies.  We all know that the B.B.C. view us as the enemy.  We don't need to help them with anything.

Edited by ranger_syntax

Frankie, here’s my tuppence worth.

Until there are Rangers supporting producers and editors controlling the BBC Scotland Sport output, then I’d politely tell them where to go. Having a Rangers fan like Kenny McIntyre presenting, imho, is moot. 

You or A.N. Other would just be utilised as the token H u n.

That may sound paranoid, harsh or something in between. But when push comes to shove, it’s the reality of the situation however unpalatable.

You know the score mate, you would most definitely be behind enemy lines dealing with them. We need weight of numbers before engaging.

9 minutes ago, Soulsonic5791 said:

Frankie, here’s my tuppence worth.

Until there are Rangers supporting producers and editors controlling the BBC Scotland Sport output, then I’d politely tell them where to go. Having a Rangers fan like Kenny McIntyre presenting, imho, is moot. 

You or A.N. Other would just be utilised as the token H u n.

That may sound paranoid, harsh or something in between. But when push comes to shove, it’s the reality of the situation however unpalatable.

You know the score mate, you would most definitely be behind enemy lines dealing with them. We need weight of numbers before engaging.

There might have been a majority vote for accepting a BBC invitation but in fact there was little offered by way of coherent justification. Much was essentially "get intae them" and "give them a piece of our mind", neither of which would have lasted beyond the introduction music. It was a trap waiting to be sprung and undoubtedly the right decision was reached.