The Summer 2023 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

19 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

You also like to move the goalposts, don't you?

They're individual stats, showing past performance. It gives you a flavour of what style of player he is. 

They can't predict the future, but you can generate estimates and probabilities from them. 

Nothing more, nothing less. 

I don't think I've moved any goalposts but I have at least looked to see that you haven't attached a crossbar 😉

So basically these numbers are of no use whatsoever in the context of prospective signings and could even be wholly misleading if read without the benefit of caveats about the circumstances under which they were generated. I get it now 😄

2 minutes ago, Bill said:

I don't think I've moved any goalposts but I have at least looked to see that you haven't attached a crossbar 😉

So basically these numbers are of no use whatsoever in the context of prospective signings and could even be wholly misleading if read without the benefit of caveats about the circumstances under which they were generated. I get it now 😄

kill me now barney stinson GIF

3 hours ago, Rousseau said:

I don't think his lack of minutes is that telling, to be honest.

At Sampdoria he had Quagliarella and Gabbiadini in front of him; two legends, almost - certainly the former. Lammers was just a back-up to them. 

Secondly, you're comparing the minutes from players that play 38 league games and another 20 games in cups. Lammers plays league games only, and a very short run in the domestic cup.  

If you just compare his league minutes, he's played over 600 minutes more than Jack.

The fact that he finished the season backup to a 40 year old doesn’t really help to be honest. 

Yeh I’m aware that Rangers players play more minutes of course, but it still gives a good reference point. Ryan Jack had another season badly interrupted by injuries, he never really got a good run of starting games. Sands was away in January and didn’t play that much. 

I can absolutely see good technical ability in the videos so it could turn out a good signing, but for a few million I’m just skeptical. 

3 hours ago, Rousseau said:

I was thinking about the way in which we take to certain rumours. It's often illogical, and then we pick and chose the stats that suite our position.

I don't like Dessers. Mainly because of his age, but also I think he's just a goalscorer that does nothing else. 

Whereas Lammers is not a goalscorer, younger, his technical ability looks superb, his link-up play looks good, he presses, he puts in the defensive work. He also quite tall and fast. 

If it's a straight choice, I much prefer Lammers.

It's fascinating how we see things differently. 

I’m unsure about Dessers too. Not a fan of spending millions on players with very limited scope to be sold on for more. I know some people hate it when you say that, but it’s just where we are as a club, generally the bigger money needs spent on young players and you can get better value in the bosman market for older players. 

Like Colak, he could well score plenty in a league like ours. Certainly looks to have ability. It’s wait and see for me with Dessers I suppose. 

Edited by DMAA

I'm open to anyone who comes from a league that had finalists in all European competitions, and who our manager can see fitting into his style, I'd prefer them to be young and sellable, but this is Scottish fitba.

I pay less attention to stats. I wonder what McCoist and Hateley's stats looked like in the seasons before we signed them....

9 minutes ago, DMAA said:

The fact that he finished the season backup to a 40 year old doesn’t really help to be honest. 

Yeh I’m aware that Rangers players play more minutes of course, but it still gives a good reference point. Ryan Jack had another season badly interrupted by injuries, he never really got a good run of starting games. Sands was away in January and didn’t play that much. 

I can absolutely see good technical ability in the videos so it could turn out a good signing, but for a few million I’m just skeptical. 

Ordinarily, yes, but it's Quagliarella! He was clocked as one of the fastest players in Serie A at 38!! 

1 minute ago, Rousseau said:

Ordinarily, yes, but it's Quagliarella! He was clocked as one of the fastest players in Serie A at 38!! 

That’s impressive. I reckon it's the olive oil in the Italian diet. 

2 hours ago, Rousseau said:

@Bill's out. He doesn't go in for the newfangled number stuff. 

Hey, just because you're not able to sell the product, don't go blaming the customer for not buying. 😇