The Summer 2023 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

2 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I don't think you understand my point. 

I’m certainly struggling to understand it. A forward who has been unable to get himself into scoring positions doesn’t get a free pass just because he may be a ‘pressing forward’. The return is abysmal over the past three seasons, he will have to have a mighty turn around quickly because the crowd will gobble him up if he starts as slowly as he has done over the last 3 seasons.

27 minutes ago, PoohBear said:

His stats are not just poor mate, they are utterly shit. Don't try and sugar coat it or anything. We must have scouted him very thoroughly if we believe he is worth the kind of money we are talking about, because on paper he is awful.

Nikica Jelavić - Wikipedia

His stats were a bit dugmeat before we spent our entire transfer budget on him and it worked out all right. Sometimes it can.

18 minutes ago, ranger_syntax said:

I've never seen Lammers play so I don't know if he is any good.

I've been calculating x-C and x-D. Although the numbers are not high, just now, I can tell you that they are increasing.

That’s encouraging

6 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

His stats were a bit dugmeat before we spent our entire transfer budget on him and it worked out all right. Sometimes it can.

Like I said previously though, it doesn’t mean he can’t be a success. He can’t come here and expect to be coming up with those numbers though, he’ll be taken apart by the crowd.

6 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

They weren’t really though. 29 goals in 48 games and then 6 goals in 8 games when we signed him. He was very much on the up. He'd broken into the Croatia squad the year before and had 6 caps and 2 goals when we signed him. But I agree with your point that things can turn around when you move club. 

5 hours ago, PoohBear said:

I’m certainly struggling to understand it. A forward who has been unable to get himself into scoring positions doesn’t get a free pass just because he may be a ‘pressing forward’. The return is abysmal over the past three seasons, he will have to have a mighty turn around quickly because the crowd will gobble him up if he starts as slowly as he has done over the last 3 seasons.

I'll go through it. 

I'm only going by the facts of his last season: 2 goals in 25 games, over two loan spells. That looks bad. But, it's only bad if he's getting hundreds of chances. If he's only getting a couple of chances, then no one - not even Haaland - will score a lot.

I'm then looking at his xG: The quality of the chances he has had. His xG for the season was 4: from the quality and quantity of the chances he's had, he should have scored 4. 

So, he is under-performing, but it's not atrocious. 

My other point was he looks like a pressing forward: good presser, good defensive numbers and a good link-up player. Those types don't necessarily score a lot - Firmino, for example; he scored 10-15 goals a season. (I'm not saying he's as good as Firmino, just that he looks that style of player.)

That's all I'm saying. 

7 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

I'm old and don't always follow some of this chat, but are we saying he's a 6'3" dribbler who doesn't score many goals? I suppose Aribo could have been described similarly. 

Or, Tommy Hutchison?