The Summer 2023 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

21 minutes ago, Scott7 said:

You can only score from the chances that are given. Fair enough.

Is a forward player supposed to be able create his own chances (Laudrup) or just bang in goals from chances created by others (Flo)?

What if a player doesn’t get many chances because he can’t read the play or is too slow to move? Nonetheless, he scores two goals in a season from two chances. What a striker! 100% conversion rate.

Or someone like Morelos who creates chances himself and gets a bucket load from others, but can't take them. 

It'll all be in the raw data. 

20 minutes ago, Devil's advocaat said:

Absolutely, but my point is, his stats must have been pretty grim reading. The realists amongst us could see he was a player, but if we'd had access to XG, XD etc, I'm pretty sure lots would have been calling him down as well.

I think it would be the opposite. 

3 minutes ago, Devil's advocaat said:

I guess we'll never know.

I would need to find the matches and count every single metric myself. 

There's no way I'd be so stupid as to spend all that time just to prove a silly point on a Rangers foru--

Tom Hanks Running GIF

11 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

Yeah didn't really play much there but was more prolific in Holland which is probably a better comparison with the SPFL.

Yep, but I understand he has had a bad knee injury since then (sound familiar?) and after his recovery his stats are woeful. I haven't seen him, I just hope Beale isn't wooed by the player he was rather than the player he is.

Edited by PoohBear

1 hour ago, Frankie said:

The problem we have is we don't really play with a poacher in our side and haven't done so in a long time. Morelos, Roofe and Sakala can all score goals but all were expected to work outside the box to link the play and this will be true for any new signing. Even Colak - arguably a more recognised penalty box type goal-scorer - was having to adapt his game before he got injured. Further back, Jelavic, Miller and Prso also had to link the play with only Boyd the kind of poacher some fans think we need.  Worth noting neither of those players were hardly prolific before they signed but it was their overall quality that seen them arrive and they did score goals.

In that sense, it's not a surprise to see any linked players perhaps not have the out and out goal-scorer label we'd like to see. That's not to say we won't sign one as well as a Lammers and/or a Dessers but it's probably unlikely.

By way of comparison, Celtic do use more of a poacher in their team and there's no doubt Kyogo has been a fine signing. Would he fit into our style of play? Can we afford a luxury number 9 (both financially and tactically)? Or do you spread your bet into 2-3 players who can all contribute?

I don't have the answer unfortunately but I do know signing the correct forward players and turning our possession/chance stats into more goals will be a key part of any success coming our way next season. I'm sure the manager is just as aware... ;)

In my opinion, poachers win leagues in Scotland, and they are underrated by our support, many of whom are fixated on strikers who can “rag doll” defences. 

I’m hoping Dessers can be that goalscorer. Or Colak. There are at least signs of encouragement with Dessers on that front, and more of a track record, although still some red flags in his stats (hopefully explained by playing for Cremonese). What I really like in Dessers’ stats is that he’s in the 92nd percentile for touches in the attacking penalty box, and the 90s for carries into the penalty area. And 93rd for goals to shots on target. Somehow he’s managed to be in the 3rd percentile for shots on target % though, which I’m hoping is explained by a tough season near the bottom

of the league. 

1 hour ago, 26th of foot said:

Or, Tommy Hutchison?

I was reading a review on a recent book on him just last week,  oh for the days when Fife coalfields produced international players with regularity.