The Summer 2023 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

2 hours ago, Bill said:

Please submit a 500 word dissertation on the possible advantages of this alternative format: 

It's nearly lunchtime. Have we bought anyone today? If not, why not?

You Figure It Out Donald Trump GIF

My old English master would have given me the cane .

3 hours ago, Bill said:

It seems to me complete nonsense to have a DoF calling the shots on player recruitment targets

They don’t call the shots though. The final say has always been with the manager. My understanding is that they do a lot of the legwork on transfer strategy partly because the manager doesn’t have time, and they present lists of options to the manager and the work through them together and narrow it down. It’s a collaborative effort and it makes sense to me in terms of the division of labour. I honestly think things would be chaotic if transfers were bottlenecking through the manager only. 

1 hour ago, compo said:

My old English master would have given me the cane .

I'm afraid I never sampled the cane but I was on first name terms with Mr Belt. 

6 minutes ago, DMAA said:

They don’t call the shots though. The final say has always been with the manager. My understanding is that they do a lot of the legwork on transfer strategy partly because the manager doesn’t have time, and they present lists of options to the manager and the work through them together and narrow it down. It’s a collaborative effort and it makes sense to me in terms of the division of labour. I honestly think things would be chaotic if transfers were bottlenecking through the manager only. 

I'm all for dividing labour but too often the mentality is the manager will decide what player resources he needs and the DoF will be responsible for finding and recruiting them, after which the manager will use them as he sees fit .... and that strikes me as completely arse about face. Players, was Beale is currently showing us, are primarily manager business.

Your point about managers not having time is an interesting one. If this is in fact the case, why doesn't he solve the problem by improving his coaching resources, instead of delegating upwards, which is never a good idea.

3 minutes ago, compo said:

Yes got that many a time when we moved to Scotland 

I got it so often, if there was any justice I would have been allowed to keep one when I left.

1 hour ago, Bill said:

I'm all for dividing labour but too often the mentality is the manager will decide what player resources he needs and the DoF will be responsible for finding and recruiting them, after which the manager will use them as he sees fit .... and that strikes me as completely arse about face. Players, was Beale is currently showing us, are primarily manager business.

Your point about managers not having time is an interesting one. If this is in fact the case, why doesn't he solve the problem by improving his coaching resources, instead of delegating upwards, which is never a good idea.

Your conception of a 'manager' is old-school, when in fact it has changed. A manager now is basically just a head coach, responsible for match prep, etc. 

A DoF now is an old-school manager, responsible for managing all the footballing departments (First Team, Academy, Player Recruitment, Analysis, Performance and Medical), but excluding match prep, etc. 

The managerial role is too short-term now to allow a manager so much power. 

It can work in the short-term, but even if it does (e.g. Ange), can the next manager come in and hit the ground running without needing wholesale changes? I think less so. Celtic have the best squad in the league but now Rogers still needs to spend a huge warchest? Mental. I mean, I'm quite happy to see them do so, as they'll squander their financial lead. 

What we need is a DoF overseeing the recruitment (alongside all the other footballing departments) so we have a more medium to long term outlook, and so the DoF can also look at appointing new managers that can hit the ground ground and work with what's already here. Medium to long-term management. 

Gone are the days where old-school managers were all-powerful because they were in charge for decades. Now, they get a couple of years, if that. Why would you give all power to a temporary position?