The Summer 2023 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

4 hours ago, Bill said:

I'm all for dividing labour but too often the mentality is the manager will decide what player resources he needs and the DoF will be responsible for finding and recruiting them, after which the manager will use them as he sees fit .... and that strikes me as completely arse about face. Players, was Beale is currently showing us, are primarily manager business.

Your point about managers not having time is an interesting one. If this is in fact the case, why doesn't he solve the problem by improving his coaching resources, instead of delegating upwards, which is never a good idea.

My understanding is that the manager is also involved up front. So the manager could say, I think we need a target man. Someone who can hold the ball up well, is good in the air etc. Or I need a ball winner in centre mid. And the DoF then does a lot of the work involved in modern recruitment and brings the manager a list and they work through it together. So rightly or wrongly I don’t see it as one sided as you do, and it makes sense to me. 

Edited by DMAA

4 minutes ago, DMAA said:

My understanding is that the manager is also involved up front. So the manager could say, I think we need a target man. Someone who can hold the ball up well, is good in the air etc. Or I need a ball winner in centre mid. And the DoF then does a lot of the work involved in modern recruitment and brings the manager a list and they work through it together. So rightly or wrong I don’t see it as one sided as you do, and it makes sense to me. 

Even I, in my dream of a DoF absolute dictatorship, don't see it as such a one-sided relationship.

There must be some negotiation, for want of a better word. 

1 minute ago, DMAA said:

My understanding is that the manager is also involved up front. So the manager could say, I think we need a target man. Someone who can hold the ball up well, is good in the air etc. Or I need a ball winner in centre mid. And the DoF then does a lot of the work involved in modern recruitment and brings the manager a list and they work through it together. So rightly or wrong I don’t see it as one sided as you do, and it makes sense to me. 

If that's really how it works then it hasn't worked very well. I think a small clue can be found by comparing the last two transfer windows with the two before that.

1 minute ago, Bill said:

If that's really how it works then it hasn't worked very well. I think a small clue can be found by comparing the last two transfer windows with the two before that.

Very hard to compare though because this summer is a proper rebuild. January was very good but Beale told us that Wilson put Raskin to him and he agreed and they moved forward. So Wilson was very much involved. I’ve no idea how Cantwell came about but I got the impression that was all Beale. 

5 minutes ago, DMAA said:

Very hard to compare though because this summer is a proper rebuild

On the contrary, it's extremely easy to compare, all it requires is for eyes to be open. I'm not sure what you mean by "proper" but surely every transfer window should be conducted properly, regardless of the extent of recruitment and clearly it hasn't on too many occasions and that has to lay doubt on the way we have been doing business.

10 hours ago, Bill said:

On the contrary, it's extremely easy to compare, all it requires is for eyes to be open. I'm not sure what you mean by "proper" but surely every transfer window should be conducted properly, regardless of the extent of recruitment and clearly it hasn't on too many occasions and that has to lay doubt on the way we have been doing business.

I just meant a full rebuild. So we have had big “outs” that allowed for bigger "ins". I think it is a bit presumptuous to say it's easy to compare because the success of this window won't be clear for some time. We also have no way of knowing how much of a part Wilson played in most of these signings. 

Edited by DMAA

1 hour ago, Rousseau said:

I think we're all getting mixed up between how we think a DoF-based recruitment model should word and how it is actually working. 

There's no mix up at all.

If should is different from actual then that alone tells you it isn't working.

After just bringing in all 6ft + players, it would be pretty crazy selling Borna at this time unless for good money. Even today, he had the cross for the first goal. Ridvan could have put Matondo plus another coming in at the back post(Sakala?) at the end of the highlights but ballooned it high and wide.