The Summer 2023 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Josh Windass ... I seem to remember that we "utilized" him in a wide-left role more often than not. Now 29, he's played 42 games for the Owls this season, 18 of which as centre-forward (9 goals, 5 assists), 13 as attacking midfielder (5 goals, 1 assists), the rest elsewhere on the left or right (2 goals, 1 assist). His overall stats show that he's been an attacking midfielder more often than not, and in 132 games as such, scored a decent enough 40 goals and 23 assists.

I know that people want us to see big names arrive, entertainers and skill-ladden folk. At the end of the day, we first and foremost need to get people who do the job at home, who comfortable get us over the line against the likes of St. Johnstone, Hibs, or Motherwell. The last three or four seasons, we had neat people, who were essentially only able to drag us over the line in these games, if at all. Whatever happens in Europe is fine, but we constantly failed to build a team for the home lessons. And if we can snatch a freebie called Josh Windass to do this, so be it. After all, it's been some time since he last pulled on a blue jersey in Glasgow.

36 minutes ago, Devil's advocaat said:

I wouldn't hold the level he plays at against the guy, But it rarely works out a second time, even less so when the first time wasn't up to much.

Wise words indeed but he the obvious counter is that he knows the club, knows the league and would do a job up here.

3 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

Josh Windass ... I seem to remember that we "utilized" him in a wide-left role more often than not.

There is a rumour that Beale wants to use him as one of six number tens next year.

Nobody knows how he will perform when "utilized" in this way ... yet.

Edited by ranger_syntax

The point is that we play far too many shot-shy or aim-impaired people against packed defenses, and usually only one striker. I would assume that Beale is really going with three at the back, one able CM and a lot of forward power in the Scottish league next season, to end that drought in front of goal.

44 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

Josh Windass ... I seem to remember that we "utilized" him in a wide-left role more often than not. Now 29, he's played 42 games for the Owls this season, 18 of which as centre-forward (9 goals, 5 assists), 13 as attacking midfielder (5 goals, 1 assists), the rest elsewhere on the left or right (2 goals, 1 assist). His overall stats show that he's been an attacking midfielder more often than not, and in 132 games as such, scored a decent enough 40 goals and 23 assists.

I know that people want us to see big names arrive, entertainers and skill-ladden folk. At the end of the day, we first and foremost need to get people who do the job at home, who comfortable get us over the line against the likes of St. Johnstone, Hibs, or Motherwell. The last three or four seasons, we had neat people, who were essentially only able to drag us over the line in these games, if at all. Whatever happens in Europe is fine, but we constantly failed to build a team for the home lessons. And if we can snatch a freebie called Josh Windass to do this, so be it. After all, it's been some time since he last pulled on a blue jersey in Glasgow.

I know of at least one senior ex Rangers player who played alongside Windass for us... who when asked about Windass simply said.... "He is the type of player that will get managers the sack"....

8 minutes ago, CammyF said:

Anyone starting that sort of rumours deserves a long ban crom the site 😀

On the contrary, I wish I could give @ranger_syntax all the reputation points possible and 100 bonus points in next season's GPL for linking us to such a wonderful player and person like Josh Windass.