Former Gers keeper retires

A few years too late IMO!!

New York Red Bulls goalkeeper Ronald Waterreus officially announced his retirement from soccer at the end of the 2007 season in a statement released on Friday.

ââ?¬Å?I have been very fortunate to enjoy a long and eventful professional soccer career,ââ?¬Â said Waterreus. ââ?¬Å?Over the past 20 years, I have been lucky to play at the top level in a number of different countries and gain memories that I will never forget. The whole ride has been a lot of fun.ââ?¬Â

"I would like to congratulate Ronald for his wonderful career,ââ?¬Â said Jeff Agoos, New York Red Bulls Technical Director, ââ?¬Å?Ronald has been a consummate professional throughout his time here and he has been a leader on this team. We wish him the very best in his next stage of life."

Waterreus posted a 6-6-5 record in his only season in Major League Soccer this past year after being signed by the Red Bulls as a senior international last winter. Red Bulls manager Bruce Arena recently named Jon Conway as his starting goalkeeper over Waterreus, who was injured for parts of the season and not as effective after a strong start last spring.

Waterreus, who earned seven caps with Holland, ends his career after stints with top-flight European teams such as PSV Eindhoven, Manchester City and Glasgow Rangers.

The man who ruined Klos - Der Goalie!!

I thought the Hoff did pretty well for us and the only thing that ruined Klos' Rangers career was a few unlucky injuries, one bad performance on his eventual return (against Celtic) and a rather poor attitude afterwards...

His debut was at CP when we beat them. He made a few excellent saves that day. He started off well but made a few mistakes when he was nearing the end of his Rangers career. Can't say I've missed him though.

What a load of shite...... he was a great stand in for klos ... good keeper...

Opinions! Shite in your mind.

As said above he started well but then was a decent keeper, not nearly as good as Klos who was world class.

Opinions! Shite in your mind.

As said above he started well but then was a decent keeper, not nearly as good as Klos who was world class.

the shite was directed at this comment ..."The man who ruined Klos - Der Goalie!!"

the shite was directed at this comment ..."The man who ruined Klos - Der Goalie!!"

Well I suppose McLeish played a part in that aswell by never playing him.

I dont think Klos's attitude has anything to do with his keeping abilities. I can see why he was peed off at being left out for so long - he was awesome for 7 years then gets a unlucky injury in training and once fit he didnt get back in the side bar 1 game where he was obviously rusty.

There is an arguement for him to knucle down in play reserve games later after his injury but he should still have been picked ahead of Wattereus.

Its like picking Kevin Davies upfront ahead of Thierry Henry.