Unofficial Season Review

Kent had a couple of decent periods this season but it was his attitude that really disappointed me. Where before we could rely on him to track back, this season he just didn't seem interested.  I'm not convinced he was entirely fully fit towards the end of the campaign which won't have helped and it's a shame he won't be remembered for being a decent player over the piece.

4 minutes ago, Frankie said:

Kent had a couple of decent periods this season but it was his attitude that really disappointed me. Where before we could rely on him to track back, this season he just didn't seem interested. 

That's really not my recollection (pre-fitness issues). 

23 minutes ago, Frankie said:

Kent had a couple of decent periods this season but it was his attitude that really disappointed me. Where before we could rely on him to track back, this season he just didn't seem interested.  I'm not convinced he was entirely fully fit towards the end of the campaign which won't have helped and it's a shame he won't be remembered for being a decent player over the piece.

Just had a look back at the MOTM threads from Jan-March

Motherwell March - 1 MOTM vote

Hibs March – 2 MOTM votes

Celtic Feb – 1 MOTM vote

Thistle Feb – “Kent deserves a mention”

Hearts Feb – “Davies superb as were lundstrum sakala and kent.”

St Johnstone Jan - 2 MOTM votes

Killie Jan – 6 MOTM votes

Aberdeen Jan – MOTM with 12 votes

Dundee Utd Jan - 2 MOTM votes

Celtic Jan – 6 MOTM votes “MOTM by some distance”

Yes, he had some fitness issues in April-May but to suggest that he didn't seem interested for the whole of this season is really unfair, and just seems to be perpetuating this twitter myth that he had an attitude problem for the whole of this season.

During Feb, many fans were hoping he'd sign a new contract and while some questioned his scoring record, I don't recall anyone criticising his effort or attitude.

Whether his performances and lack of appearances in April and May were due to fitness issues or the fact that he had decided to move, we'll never know but it certainly appeared to me to be fitness related.

13 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

I don't recall anyone criticising his effort or attitude.

I often questioned his ability to do his main job, which was to assist and score goals.  He was flippin' hopeless at both.  

2 hours ago, Bluedell said:

That's really not my recollection (pre-fitness issues). 

It's more of a personal anecdotal thing for me from watching him at games (especially at Ibrox) where, IMO, his workrate just wasn't as good.

Like I say he had a 2-3 decent periods during the season and he absolutely wasn't as bad as some people have suggested recently but I do think, for whatever reason (fitness, motivation, instruction), his performances this season weren't as good as in previous ones though interestingly they are comparable to his efforts last season stats wise on this forum.

For example, in terms of the stats in your next post, he won 4 MotM awards this season (and last). Three of those this season were before the WC. He also had the same number of podiums this season; though 20% lower amount of votes. Just two of those podiums came after the WC this season so his performances definitely tailed off to a degree.

In 2020/21, he had 8 MotM awards and another 8 podiums; along with over twice the number of votes. Obviously that was a successful season so perhaps people were just more positive.

Overall there has been a downwards trend in his numbers. Personally though, FWIW, I'd have kept him as I think he'd be better in a new look side.

59 minutes ago, Frankie said:

Personally though, FWIW, I'd have kept him as I think he'd be better in a new look side.

A good point. Conversely, some others may struggle to maintain past form with a large new influx of better players around them.