[FT] Rangers 1 (Lammers 64) - 2 Newcastle United

4 minutes ago, Blue Moon said:

Great to be back at Ibrox last.  Newcastle are a very good team and gave us a lesson in the first half when we sat too deep and didn't press.  We clearly missed an out and out striker.  The second half was better and the new players did okay but the shining lights for me were Hagi and Raskin.  Great to see Hagi back playing like his best.  Question, where was Roofe?

Roofe Dessers and Lawrence will play some part on Saturday according to MB after game

17 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

What does everyone see in Ridvan? I'm at a loss why anyone thinks he's an improvement on Barasic. Borna can't defend but at least he can cross, Yilmaz can't even do that. There are rides at the shows he can't get on, my heart sinks when I think of what we paid for him. 

That aside not sure there's much to take from the match. Newcastle have better players than us, perhaps not unexpected when they spent £415 million assembling them, but the gulf wasn't cavernous although it felt like they had another gear if they wanted it. With the exception of the keeper our defence is unchanged, that might be a worry. Lundstram looks like he's starting this season like last season. Hopefully someone will convince him it's actually March and he'll find some form. A bit early to judge the new guys but as I'm a Rangers fan I won't let that stop me forming hard opinions and fighting to the death for them. Butland is too handsome for a goalie, get him punted, I've taken an instant dislike to him and that's unlikely to change. A midfield of Dowell, Raskin and Rice should carry us to glory. The big Dutchman looks like a handful and Sima is certainly strong, hopefully he's got a bit more than that too. 

Big season ahead for Lowry, whether it's on loan at St Johnstone or in our first team he needs to start playing regular football or his career will be one of what might have been. 

I thought Borna had a poor game last night.  I am still not convinced of Ridvan either but he brings a lot more energy and at least tries to go forward, something Backwards Borna seems to have forgotten most of the time.

5 minutes ago, Blue Moon said:

I thought Borna had a poor game last night.  I am still not convinced of Ridvan either but he brings a lot more energy and at least tries to go forward, something Backwards Borna seems to have forgotten most of the time.

Does he bring energy or does he just run around a bit with no real purpose? Borna is only useful in the opposition's half, his defending is continually poor. He needs replaced, but not with Ridvan who seems equally hopeless in either half. 

Edited by JohnMc

8 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

Does he bring energy or does he just run around a bit with no real purpose? Borna is only useful in the opposition's half, his defending is continually poor. He needs replaced, but not with Ridvan who seems equally hopeless in either half. 

Time will tell.

10 hours ago, RANGERRAB said:

I also don’t think we’ve a big enough squad to make the number of substitutions we made.
When Tav went off we didn’t have a RB to bring on. 

And we still don’t have any real width up front from the players we saw tonight 

10 hours ago, RANGERRAB said:

I don’t get the problem some have with Wright. Until we get someone better he’s all we’ve got to play wide areas up front. Matondo doesn’t give us anything 

I don't think we play with wide players, though. Even a front-three plays narrow. 

Our width has always come from our FBs. 

11 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

No, I believe it's important to Maasai warriors and Snow White too. 

Don't recall much football being played in German fairytales or during high jumping dance routines in Kenya.  

37 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

What does everyone see in Ridvan? I'm at a loss why anyone thinks he's an improvement on Barasic. Borna can't defend but at least he can cross, Yilmaz can't even do that. There are rides at the shows he can't get on, my heart sinks when I think of what we paid for him. 

Dis Gonna Be Good Jason Momoa GIF