[FT] Servette 1 - 1 Rangers (Tavernier 51)

1 minute ago, Bill said:

I've watched the Servette goal many times now and, while Souttar misjudges his clearing header and it's a terrific strike from Kutesa, it looks like yet another example of an opposition player on the left side of our penalty box being left completely unattended by our right fullback. Too harsh?

I think yes, a little harsh. When Tav sees Souttar misjudging the ball, he tucks in to cover the player the initial strike hits.

May be the right midfield player should have tucked back?

Traffic strike, but its Souttars fault and no one else's IMO.

Just now, BlackSocksRedTops said:

I know people are quick to jump on Dessers back but I've seen enough of him to know that there is a player there. His interchange play with Cantwell against Livingston (Lammars goal) and last night when he hit the post shows promise. He just needs to get up to speed. He's nailed on to score against the Tims IMO. Football can be like that.🤣🤣

All I know is that Sima, Dessers, Lammers and Danilo look as potent as a spayed chihuahua. I don't know how long they will need to "settle in" or "get up to speed" but so far they've shown nothing and earned no excuses. I don't want them to show promise, I just want them to do what they are paid to do. It's not a question of writing them off or being unduly impatient .... it's no more complicated than simply saying what we see.

1 minute ago, Bill said:

All I know is that Sima, Dessers, Lammers and Danilo look as potent as a spayed chihuahua. I don't know how long they will need to "settle in" or "get up to speed" but so far they've shown nothing and earned no excuses. I don't want them to show promise, I just want them to do what they are paid to do. It's not a question of writing them off or being unduly impatient .... it's no more complicated than simply saying what we see.

I get that but all have scored goals in our opening round of matches (bar Killie). That's what they have been brought in to do. Granted, should they have scored more? Of course but we need to give them time. We just have to keep winning/progressing during that bedding in period.

8 minutes ago, CammyF said:

I think yes, a little harsh. When Tav sees Souttar misjudging the ball, he tucks in to cover the player the initial strike hits.

May be the right midfield player should have tucked back?

Traffic strike, but its Souttars fault and no one else's IMO.

I'm not sure that's actually correct. When Souttar misses his header and their initial shot ricochets back out, Tav is already in a central position in our penalty area and their wide player is already free in 20 yards of space. Because Tav then steps forward towards the player who makes the final pass, Goldson has to move to his right to try to get to the goalscorer.

I've watched this scenario unfold countless times over the last couple of seasons because Tav routinely gets drawn to the ball in central defence and invariably leaves a man free outside him. He's long past coaching defensive duties and I guarantee you this will happen time and again this season.

18 minutes ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

The downside of the narrow shape? I can see a potential back 3 against PSV in the works as they use width very effectively. We'll see. Morton first...

Maybe so. We need to do something if we're going to keep playing our weakest links.

8 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Anyone else see the four Rangers fans behind the goal surrounded by Servette fans?

I just saw them celebrate when the goal went in. 

Didn't see that but I did see the idiot with the Celtic strip on. 

Edited by BlackSocksRedTops

I thought the willingness of our #8s (Raskin and Shifu) to press wide last night was really good. 

It is necessary in a narrow formation, but we've not really seen it. Our press in general has been pretty poor. 

I do think that energetic role suits Raskin more, rather than keeping him deep.