[FT] Rangers 0 - 1 Celtic

5 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

Jack had a bad game by his standards, had to be replaced by Lundstram or Cifuentes, IMHO. His passing and decision making was terrible at times. Tav likewise ... as if the ball was a pound too heavy.

Not sure why there is so much blame thrown at Cantwell. He's probably the only source of creativity we have/had all season, and his effort is second to none. Played far too deep first half - probably by order of MB. Anyone could see that they didn't like the pressure, but we somehow couldn't keep it up - despite various people (Roofe, Tav, Cantwell) telling others to do more of it. There was virtually no wing play, which allowed them to keep our attackers under close control and get out of defence easy enough. I do hope that Ridvan is back to full fitness once the next game is up, he looks to be the wing-back we need, despite Tav's goals et al. Anyone knows how many attempts at goal from free kicks Tav has converted in recent years (sic!)? Probably as little as Goldson scored a goal from a corner/free-kick.

IMHO, we are top-heavy in terms of players we have at our disposal (as opposed to many of the last few seasons) and simply haven't worked out how to use them best. I said it a week or two ago, IMHO our best centre-half partnership is Souttar and Balogun - and I stand by that. 

It's match day 4 of 38, onwards we soldier!

Yilmaz is not and never will be the answer. I've seen better junior players. Nevermind, he'll be injured again soon. 

Cantwell,  Raskin and Jack continually gave the ball away, or chose the wrong option / pass. Cantwell holds the ball for too long on occasions rather than passing and moving.

All three have been poor (by their standards) all season. 

Edited by CammyF

28 minutes ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

I'm not blaming the players Bill. The manager obviously thought Sterling, Jack and Matondo had to cover the left. Baffling.

Sorry, I understood that and was agreeing with you. The way the midfield was set up today effectively rendered it inoperable.

1 minute ago, Bill said:

Sorry, I understood that and was agreeing with you. The way the midfield was set up today effectively rendered it inoperable.

As did their continued waste of possession, their inability to close McGregor down, their inability to pass the ball, their inability to track runners, their inability to pass and move and most infuriating, their inability to make the correct pass when they have runners in space.

3 minutes ago, Bill said:

Apologies for reading that wrong and agree wholeheartedly about our midfield. I think that Cantwells energy should be used at the tip of a midfield to start and maintain the press. They were there for the taking and we let them walk through us into yards of space. 

1 minute ago, CammyF said:

As did their continued waste of possession, their inability to close McGregor down, their inability to pass the ball, their inability to track runners, their inability to pass and move and most infuriating, their inability to make the correct pass when they have runners in space.

Again, that's coaching, IMO. 

(I'm not suggesting that the players are compleyely without blame.)

3 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I blame the manager for this: players don't know what they're supposed to be doing. 

See if you get a dose of the shits tonight (god forbid), I'm sure you'll post on here that MB is to blame 😁

3 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Again, that's coaching, IMO. 

(I'm not suggesting that the players are compleyely without blame.)

It's not coaching, it's belief in your own ability. Highly paid professional football players shouldn't need a coach to tell them how to pass 5 yards. Or how/when to pass and move. Or when to release the ball rather than hold on to it.

I think twice in 1st half today we won the ball in midfield and Jack and then Raskin had a chance to play a 1st time pass to Matondo who was free through the middle and both chose to turn and play the ball backwards. 

Just now, Rousseau said:

And I'm sure if MB shot you dog, you'd blame the gun. :D

Nope, we need a better Coach, but we need platers who can live with the responsibility of playing for Rangers. In fact, we need players who can do the basics.