Ronnie Mackinnon Dead

Too young to have assessed Willie Woodburn properly and Geordie Young was a colossus and the epitome of a Ranger but the man I pick for centre half is Ronnie McKinnon. Fast, knew what to do with the ball and though not a giant, nobody pushed him around. He was good. So was McNeil but not in McKinnon’s class.

Such very sad news to those of us of a certain vintage.

In my opinion Ronnie McKinnon represented the very best of Rangers. A true legend in my eyes. 

Rest in peace Ronnie, you're remembered by far more than you'll ever know.

Ah, this is the worst.

Do the arithmetic, Ronnie was born during the Govan blitz. The Luftwaffe were hammering the Clyde shipyards and Ronnie's Maw decided the shelter were not for her or her newborn. Ronnie had it tough from. the start.

Twenty years past and the RST was founded. We had our second annual dinner and Ronnie accepted an invitation. The accompanying programme for the bash had several old Rangers and I was tasked with providing biography pen pictures. I spoke with Ronnie and asked if he felt his time was 25 years too soon, given the contracts being handed out in the decade surrounding the turn of the century?  He answered his contentment was to have played with Rangers and Scotland.

I remember my Old Man returning from Lisbon in '71 and he had less than expected enthusiasm for Rangers progress to the ECWC quarter-finals. Ronnie had broken his leg during the match and Dad reckoned it was too high a price to pay. 

Ronnie remains a true Ranger.