[FT] Sparta Prague 0 - 0 Rangers

It seems no time since I was reading such wisdom about Beale .... "there's a manager in there, I think he'll come good".

There wasn't and he didn't. It will be the same with Dessers and Lammers. We might want them to come good but, like Beale, it isn't going to happen. They're not up to what's required of them and no amount of wishful thinking is ever going to change that. Trust your eyes.

1 hour ago, SykseyBear said:

It honestly doesn't matter. Ages don't win trophies, good players, well organised teams, well balanced teams, determination, hunger, will to win, does. Regardless of age. This isn't a computer game, it's the real world buddy. 

Respectfully, does this group of senior players have determination, hunger and will to win? Based on their Rangers careers? Coupled with the fact that they can't run?

I'd happily have a team of 40 year olds if they sweep up trophy after trophy but when you're seeing Todd Cantwell doing the running of 3 men in that midfield yesterday and having to be subbed before he gets sent off because of it you tend to think that maybe what we're doing/have done hasn't worked and we should change tack?

Sima was flogged like a c**t last night because he's capable of doing the yards - others need to be able to match that.

You might be right though, perhaps the Player Trading Model is delusion. It's not like the biggest sales we've made have been youngsters given a chance.

I might take pelters for this but here goes...Butland was great last night but did he do anything that's not expected from our goalkeeper? The bulk of the shots were close to him or directly at him. 

If you cast your mind back to the last time we faced Sparta in Prague, Macgregor pulled off a genuine world class save amongst a raft of top class stops in our 1-0 defeat. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy Butland is there as he is an assured and commanding figure but I wouldn't expect anything less from a Rangers goalie.

2 hours ago, Bill said:

It seems no time since I was reading such wisdom about Beale .... "there's a manager in there, I think he'll come good".

There wasn't and he didn't. It will be the same with Dessers and Lammers. We might want them to come good but, like Beale, it isn't going to happen. They're not up to what's required of them and no amount of wishful thinking is ever going to change that. Trust your eyes.

It's easier to get rid of a manager that's underperforming than players on 3/4 year deals who are not cutting it.

9 minutes ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

I might take pelters for this but here goes...Butland was great last night but did he do anything that's not expected from our goalkeeper? The bulk of the shots were close to him or directly at him. 

If you cast your mind back to the last time we faced Sparta in Prague, Macgregor pulled off a genuine world class save amongst a raft of top class stops in our 1-0 defeat. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy Butland is there as he is an assured and commanding figure but I wouldn't expect anything less from a Rangers goalie.

Aye that's fair, although McGregor was a hologram in his last season. What i will say is that the difference between Butland and past Rangers goalies is that he's happy to claim crosses and sweep up outside his area and be good at it too, add in that he's an excellent shot stopper and you've got a modern 'Rangers Goalie'.

Butlands distribution can be a bit hit and miss but its not bad per se.

That's not just aimed at McGregor either.

Edited by yuddie

1 hour ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

If everyone else had merely done what was expected of them, we would have beaten Sparta 7-0

1 hour ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

It's easier to get rid of a manager that's underperforming than players on 3/4 year deals who are not cutting it.

Yes but maybe easiest isn’t best 😉

Just wanted to add a wee comment about the opposition last night. Despite us playing ourselves into trouble a few times, I thought Sparta were half decent and will present a tough match at Ibrox IMO. It's also worth noting that they average 2.5 goals per game in the Czech league and did hammer Dinamo Zagreb 4-1 at home in the play offs. I still think we can beat them but it won't be easy.

Oh and that lad Birmančević looked decent. I was wondering where I had seen him before? Some digging and later I discovered the Serbian played for Malmo when the beat us at Ibrox. He's currently a Toulouse player on loan at Sparta.

Edited by BlackSocksRedTops